We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Child Entry Requirements!!!

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Topic
New Child Entry Requirements!!!

As of Nov9 2012, children travelling alone or accompanied by a third party of legal age ( grandparent, aunt/uncle, other ) most not only have a parental consent form but it "MUST be legalized by the Mexican Consulate or Embassy AND translated into Spanish".

I had heard of a local set of grandparents and their grandkids, being denied boarding in Vancouver heading to PV, just this afternoon. Since I am travelling with our niece ( in 9 days ) I thought I should double check what I need and it is true. I have the notarized forms from both parents but now have to scramble to translate and legalize them with the Consulate. The travel agents all seem to have just heard of this as well so if you are travelling with grandkids or nieces/nephews maybe double check.

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/mexico

Mike :)

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Child Entry Requirements!!!

Thanks for the heads-up. I feel badly for the people who will get stung by this, especially with the Christmas season just around the corner. It would have been nice if they could have brought this in with some kind of grace period so the word could get around, and travelers could adjust.

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Child Entry Requirements!!!

We are lucky but a week is cutting it close. A bunch of phone calls by my T/A found a translator in Vancouver and spoke with the Consulate. Both are waiting for the documents and with luck should have everything back by next Monday or sooner. If anyone needs the contact info let me know.

Mike :)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Child Entry Requirements!!!

This is going to be a huge PIA. I had not gotten any word on this from anyone in our memos or regular updates. I am now going through all my clients and am going to spend a long time on the phone tomorrow.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,403 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Child Entry Requirements!!!

Thanks for the helpful update ekim. This is going to be h-e-double hockey sticks for anyone planning a trip with no consulate in easy access...which is an awful lot of the country.

BC
Level Contributor
4,989 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Child Entry Requirements!!!

Although this is a different issue, I would like to point out this sentence from the Mexican Embassy page. Certain posters on here have said that this is not true....

"Minors travelling with at least one of their parents do not require any authorization at all." source: embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada_eng/index.php…

and on the same page, another topic that comes up often, the 6 month passport rule:

"Canadian nationals must present a valid passport to prove their nationality. Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity of passports; nevertheless, this document must be valid at the time of entry and during the period you wish to be in Mexico."

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Child Entry Requirements!!!

The link you included goes to the page noting the regulation changes effective November 9, 2012 that were mentioned in the first post.

I don't know about you, but if I'm a single or divorced parent sharing custody of a child, or who has sole custody of a child, or if I'm that child's grandparent(s), I'm not taking any chances based on a website stating authorization isn't required when all evidence has pointed to the contrary for years.

It's not just the immigration officials of the country you are going to that could refuse you entry, airlines could (and likely would) refuse you boarding. Why not take any/all precautions necessary? It's a piece of paper that will save you peace of mind.

Edited: 27 November 2012, 22:30
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
277 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Child Entry Requirements!!!

Thank you so much for posting this information! My daughter, who is 15 is coming down a week later after me with a Grandparent and without this information, she would have denied entry.

I called my travel agent and they have never heard of this before. I am in the process of trying to figure out how to do this, but since nobody seems to have information on this, it is proving to be difficult.

I agree with PVjenny, I wouldn't chance not getting proper documentation. I traveled with my daughter a few years ago to Memphis for a week and I was actually asked for my letter leaving the Winnipeg airport. Not worth spending all that money just to be turned away for a piece of paper.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,403 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Child Entry Requirements!!!

I'm pretty sure several of my single parent friends were still required by the airlines to carry an authorization letter indicating they were permitted by the non-present parent to travel with the minor in question outside of the country without them. One friend, a widow, was asked to provide documentation showing that status as a reason to not have the authorization letter.

So no matter what the embassy says about the country's document requirements, the airlines still apparently will have a say. So do border authorities (think Amber Alerts).

Edit: Hi Michelle, there is a Mexican consulate in Winnipeg, on Deerhorn Lane. Hope that helps. (-:

Edited: 27 November 2012, 22:42
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,403 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New Child Entry Requirements!!!

Everybody - if it helps, I found this list of Mexican consulate locations across Canada. I can't vouch for whether it's a complete list or if there are more locations, but at least it's a start.

http://mexico.visacenter.ca/embassy

For anyone looking for a consulate near you, I recommend Googling "Mexican consulate in [insert your city/town here]". That's how I found this list. (-:

EDIT: and from the official embassy page:

embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada_eng/index.php…

Edited: 27 November 2012, 22:47
Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Child Entry Requirements!!!

Jenny you are right about who declines your entry. In the case of the local Grandparents, ( still 2nd hand story but ) they were declined entry right at the gate to board the plane. Checked in, cleared security, got exited about going on holiday with the grandkids and then turned away by a Transat ticket taker. I did hear today that the group got things sorted out and are in PV now but they had to pay for the flight because they missed theirs yesturday. ( trip insurance apparently doesn't cover lack of documentation )

In my case ( so far ) it is costing an extra $200. for ther paper work. I guess my question is, do I tip the Mexican Consulate in peso's or Canadian?? lol

Mike:)

btw...both the translator and the Consulate have both been extremely helpful and understanding.