We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some thoughts on our trip...

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Some thoughts on our trip...

Our week in PV is going far too quicklyl!

The weather has been phenomenal. As always, the Marriott has been wonderful. The level of service and professionalism here cannot be beat. And our lovely ocean view room and the lavish breakfast buffet really are a great value (just under $1000 for the week, including the breakfast, taxes and the room.)

We've eaten some delicious meals and imbibed plenty of cold cervezas...and some nice glasses of wine too!

We absolutely loved our dinner at Casa Naranjo last night, Excellent service and food. The off-season menu is smaller than usual, but plenty for us to choose from. We were the first diners of the evening (at ~ 7:15 or so) but several other tables were right behind us.

Another favorite of ours, Vitea, did not disappoint. We both love their concept of smaller portion entrees. We like having apps, but we find we cannot enjoy our entrees then. The idea of a half entree is a winner for us.

We still love the atmosphere and great service at Daiquiri Dick's, but the menu is very Thai focused these days. While I loved my Asian inspired Osso Buco, Mr jtwiz was not crazy about his meal. Oh well!

Off to Trio tonight! Cannot wait....more updates to follow.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some thoughts on our trip...

If you like osso buco try it out at Coco Tropical, be sure to come hungry the portion is huge.

Thanks for the on the ground reporting, you're making me hungry. Is it time for our spring trip yet?

Edited: 28 November 2012, 20:35
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,129 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some thoughts on our trip...

Plus there is a coupon (or advertisement) in the latest PV Mirror for 30% off Osso Buco at Coco Tropical ---- on Wednesdays (today), I think. I'm pretty sure today is the day. I was thinking about going down there myself tonight but have too many Cupocity coupons to use first.

jtwiz --- Thanks for the mouth-watering descriptions and glad to hear the Marriott is treating you nicely. We were at El Brujo last night (YUM!), so only about a block away from you at Casa Naranjo. I had the "Gary" (which I assumed is named for Gary Beck) --- a delicious stuffed arrachera, with a small salad and much-more delicious rice that most places.

Question about Vitea though. I've never eaten there and so many do recommend it but we were sitting and strolling on the Malecon last night and the music immediately surrounding Vitea is SO LOUD, we couldn't hear each other ---- even though we were not in the restaurant proper. I've noticed that before, about the atmosphere around Vitea and don't think I could stand dining there, over those decibels. Is there any time when there is either NO music or the minor decibel version, where I could actually sample what sounds like wonderful cuisine?

One of the things I noticed (to add to the on-the-ground reports) when I went for my traditional "welcoming myself to PV" glass of white wine at San Lucas (where I love to people-watch and traffic-watch from up above) is that they are ripping up that intersection(Insurgentes and Lazaro Cardenas) big-time so no buses and extremely light, slow one-lane traffic. It was SO unbelievably quiet --- hard to believe, since it is usually such a busy, loud intersection. Yesterday, just foot traffic. Guess they are busy-ing for the REAL high season, post Christmas.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some thoughts on our trip...

Hey Marly - what was the arrachera stuffed with? I'm hungry for some PV food!!! :( no new trip planned as yet -

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some thoughts on our trip...

We've eaten at Vitea several times, I don't recall it being overly noisy, and I have very acute hearing.

Same owners as Trio.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Some thoughts on our trip...

Never any loud music during the day. I suspect if there is music that's loud it would be coming from the bar a few doors down. It's not required to sit outside, they do also have indoor seating.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some thoughts on our trip...

here's a pic of the osso buco at Coco Tropical.

…webshots.com/photo/2253032930037070083YNspYf

Calgary
Level Contributor
372 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some thoughts on our trip...

If you were in the Casa Naranjo area you should really go a few blocks further inland(towards Paso Ancho and try Chenan2. It was only openned about a month ago and is a family run Mexican restaurant with wonderful food. We found it because the son, Christain, was handing out flyers near the Tropicana and we were going to be in the area that night. We loved our meals and the wife noticed that they had more take out orders from locals(usually a very good sign) then the full restaurant was serving inside. Also, I believe both our meals were around the 100 pesos mark.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,041 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some thoughts on our trip...

This is making me hungry! I have very much enjoyed my meals at Vitea, love the option of a smaller portion. Unless, of course, I'm having their incredible quiche. I have never noticed excess noise.

Coco Tropical is excellent! Sure wish I had ordered the osso bucco. Not that my risotto was bad....

We had a truly delicious meal at El Brujo. We had been once previously and ordered the wrong things. We went with our good friend Gary Beck, a regular there. We described the meals we didn't care for to him and he steered us in the right direction.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,129 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some thoughts on our trip...

I went with Gary once years ago also, spotcat, and it was pretty obvious that everyone knew him and he was an expert on everything on the menu and did recommend we order certain things. That's why I couldn't pass up a dish called "Gary." My friend had a dish called "Isabella" for the owner's granddaughter. Delectable mahi-mahi. She raved about it so I'm sure it would meet the Gary-criteria also.

lopo --- some of the stuffing was mushrooms. Very tasty. I'd have to read the menu again to know what else was in the stuffing. I was overly focused on the arrachera.

On the osso buco special for Coco Tropical, it says "every Wednesday" for dinner ---- 30% off. I hope that means past the end of November, for anyone about ready to hop a plane. Also, spotcat, you'd be delighted to know the same special covers the risotto. For that price, you could have both! ;=))

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,041 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some thoughts on our trip...

I'll have to order the Isabella. That's my grandaughter's name, too. I love fish!

LOL! Marly, did you see the size of that osso bucco? No way I could eat both that and the risotto. Luckily, Teduardo was happy to share bites.