We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Details regarding shopping

Kansas City
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Details regarding shopping

I have heard a lot of great things about the shopping in PV but-- What kind of shopping?

I am looking for good jewerly and clothing shops. I will take home some vanilla and spices.

Any suggestions?

We are staying on the South side of town but plan to spend time in Old town and on the Malecon.

I am not interested in trinkets and t-shirt type souveniers.

Thx much

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Details regarding shopping

For good jewelry, i would go to Yesa - others can provide location as i do not know street names well (sorry) - also walk along Basilio Badillo - that has shops galore for good jewelry & clothing - there is also a wonderful jewelry shop in El Centro NOT on the Malecon but one or two blocks east of the Malecon - i'm trying to remember the name - begins with an "S" - been around for over 25 years - beautiful things & fairly priced - true artisan quality - i think the name is Suneman (maybe DE can confirm?) but i will check my box when i go home to confirm - i would not shop in any of the jewelry stores that are directly on the malecon except for Sergio Bustamante, if that is where it is still located -

In terms of clothing, IMO, most of the clothes you will find in the shops downtown are vacation clothes that you would probably only wear in PV (or similar vacation spot) - i've never been to the malls in PV so not really sure what you are looking for in the way of clothing -

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,247 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Details regarding shopping

Start on B. Badillo (corner of I. Vallarta and inland from there) for several nice clothing and jewelry (Casandra Shaw is one) shops and boutiques. Also include La Bohemia just around the corner on Constitucion. There's also a nice shop facing Olas Altas at Playa Los Arcos hotel.

For really nice not junky 'trinkets' stop in to Lucy's Cucucabana also on Badillo.

suze

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,247 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Details regarding shopping

www.curvaspeligrosaspv.com

Is the place to go if you happen to be looking for swimwear. It's not any cheaper than the US/Canada but they have an excellent selection, all styles all sizes. Right at the start of Juarez in Centro.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,978 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Details regarding shopping

Pretty much all of the quality clothing in PV is what I would deem "cruise wear". If by clothing you're thinking of nice regular stuff you could wear at home to work or otherwise, you could try Liverpool in the mall across from the maritime terminal (where the cruise ships port). Just don't expect to pay less than at home, most of these items are priced similar or more expensive as much of it would be imports.

Or plan a side trip to Guadalajara for clothing shopping.

If you don't want "trinkets", try artwork. Lots of that in Vallarta of very high quality, plenty of galleries everywhere.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
330 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Details regarding shopping

the shop that lopo had on "the tip of her tongue" is joyeria suneson. it is on the s/w corner of morelos and aldama (one block inland from the malecon). lopo is right, beautiful and unusual pieces, fairly priced. another great jewelry store is daniel espinosa which is directly across the street from suneson, on the s/e corner of morelos and aldama. the merchandise there trends a bit more contemporary than suneson.

www.danielespinosa.com/contenido/ingles.html

all of the other recommendations you've received are terrific too.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Details regarding shopping

Guadalajara, while a shoppers paradise, is not a bargain location for clothes really.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,978 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Details regarding shopping

They do however have a much larger selection of places to find everyday quality clothing than PV does.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,247 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Details regarding shopping

I would not bother to spend time or money shopping for every day clothes or an office wardrobe in Puerto Vallarta. The nicer boutiques are geared more towards casual, beach, resort wear... so is even the jewelry really. It's fun shopping and I am assuming this is what our OP is after (not trying to buy something to wear to work at home).

suze

Kansas City
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Details regarding shopping

Regarding the clothing/jewelry, when we travel I usually buy something "native" to the desination that I can wear back home rather than a boring T-shirt. It is a great way to remember the trip as well as a great conversation piece!!

Artwork from a local artist is always a must!!

I look forward to the search for the perfect piece! (pieces!!)

Thanks so much for your help

Lori

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,247 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Details regarding shopping

Then you've got to go to...

http://www.cassandrashaw.com/

it's at 276 Basilo Badillo on the southside