We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Taxi Drivers?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Taxi Drivers?

What is the proper protocol for tipping taxi drivers in PV?

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,627 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Taxi Drivers?

It is not customary to tip taxi drivers for short rides around town. It is if they do something special like help with the luggage, make a stop, play tour guide, or something extra to help you besides just drive from point A to B.

I do tip on the way from and to the airport, but that's just me. Some people don't ever tip drivers. Some always do.

You will find much debate and no one answer for this topic!

suze

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Taxi Drivers?

It is not normal to tip taxi drivers, this is the local custom. Please respect our local culture. Tourists tipping taxi drivers leads to the locals being unable to get a taxi, because, the drivers only want to get a tourist customer. They will probably overcharge them as well. :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,384 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping Taxi Drivers?

I tip the driver who handles my bags to/from the airport (that's an extra service). I tip a city driver if he goes above or beyond the regular job of driving you from A to B (that's an extra service).

We had a driver a few years back take us out to Mismaloya who thankfully was paying lots of attention to oncoming traffic, and managed to save us from being a hood ornament to a cement truck who was coming at us in the southbound lanes for some reason. Luckily we were at one of the few places on the highway that had a shoulder. That driver DID get a tip and a lot of very grateful handshakes and hugs after the drop off.

So if it's something done above and beyond the required job, that would be something worthy of a tip. Other than that no, it is not custom, as JR notes.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping Taxi Drivers?

Agreed, it's definitely not customary to tip the cabbies here. It seems like the build the tip into the price. I know 120 pesos takes you much further in Guadalajara and Mexico City than it does in PV.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,384 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping Taxi Drivers?

Based on previous experiences, 120 pesos got me from the south side to the Shangri-La condos once. LOL

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,585 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping Taxi Drivers?

Very informative about tipping taxi.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping Taxi Drivers?

A reason to tip a taxi driver (mini-trip report):

I normally only tip a driver when they handle my luggage or my groceries and help me out a lot.

HOWEVER --- last night. Whew! Big reason to tip a driver. We're in the middle of the Festival of Our Lady of Guadalupe here and things are pretty crazy, transportation-wise. Usually (almost always) I take the buses, but it doesn't work so well during this time.

So, last night, I had to meet some friends at the Paradise Community Center (southside) but I didn't feel like paying more than 50 pesos, so I told the guy to take me as far as he could, on 50 pesos....to the river.

Things got so insane on the streets, with traffic being diverted, that he wanted to drop me off before Hotel Rosita. He was an old guy so I guess he was stressed out, with the weird traffic. So, I told him --- no, poco mas, a la rio. Derecho. He didn't speak English. But --- I patted him on the shoulder and encouraged him to move on, toward the river.

At a point, I could tell things were getting bad. We hadn't even gotten to the Main Plaza but I wanted to spare him ---- so I jumped out of the cab and gave him his fare (50 pesos + a good tip) and spared him the pain of taking me to the river.

That was a reason for a tip for a taxi driver.....he earned it.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping Taxi Drivers?

Thank you all for your advice.

We arrive Saturday for some much needed R&R....

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping Taxi Drivers?

Just returned and had only a couple of issues with taxi drivers in PV. One in particular left a very sour taste in my mouth. We caught a cab back to our hotel - the regular fare is 50 pesos. On the way, he mentioned a taco stand - Pepe's - and asked if we had ever been there. I said no, and he offered to take us there. I thanked him but said we were tired and just wanted to go back to the hotel. He insisted, and offered to wait while we had a taco. He really wasn't taking "no" for an answer. So, we had a couple of tacos, while he waited. The food was very, very good and I'm glad he suggested it. All in all we were there about 7 minutes. For some reason we felt obligated to hurry, because the driver was waiting, even though it was he who insisted we go there. When we got back to the hotel we handed him 100 pesos - 50 for the fare, and 50 as a tip for waiting for us and for the suggestion of stopping. He looked at my friend and said "Did you forget the tip?" I said to him (in Spanish) "The fare is 50 pesos, right?" He said "yes, but I waited for you at the restaurant..." So, I yanked back one of the 50 peso bills and said "Ya, you're right. We did forget the tip. See ya." I honestly could not believe he was being such a jerk, and he ended up with nothing because of it. Another driver, when I tipped him 20 pesos said, "but I work for tips". He was pretty quiet after I told him "No, you don't work for tips. Mexican people don't even tip taxi drivers Maybe I should give you no tip, for your dishonesty."

Oregon
Level Contributor
551 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping Taxi Drivers?

Agree with most. We don't necessarily tip for a straight-shot trip with no extras. However, our experience with PV taxi drivers is most often better than we deserve. We had a driver circle the block until he found us (we had left a bag in the cab), and when traveling with a group of women, more than one cabbie went above and beyond to make sure we were safe. We obviously tipped well in all situations mentioned. I had only one ride (we were a group of four women) when a cab driver took us through the tunnel, honking and driving eradically. I told him we wouldn't pay him at all if he killked us, and to back off. He laughed out loud, but did slow down. I gave him the evil eye when I paid him the agreed fare, and he winked and gave me back 10 pesos. Never did figure out what his deal was that night. 99% of the cab drivers are kind, polite, and very safe.