We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get a cell phone for use for 10 days in PV ?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get a cell phone for use for 10 days in PV ?

We will be in PV for a few days and then Nuevo Vallarta for 10 days over xmas with our fam and I would like 2 cell phones (for my husband and me) so we can text each other. No international calls needed - we can skype if we need to. We are coming down form Canada and both have iPhones. Should we bring an old phone down and unlock it with new SIM card? Buy a cheap phone there? Any guidance most appreciated.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get a cell phone for use for 10 days in PV ?

Buy a couple cheap phones, they are about 250 pesos each and come with some time credit.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get a cell phone for use for 10 days in PV ?

If you both have iPhones you can simply use iMessage whenever you are on wi-fi to text one another. That's what we've been doing now for several years. Just make sure you are in Airplane Mode and do not turn it off until you land back in Toronto. Those data charges for emails, etc. rack up fast.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get a cell phone for use for 10 days in PV ?

The only hesitation I'd have with buying local cellphones simply to text, is that the texting can be difficult as most if not all the phones are programmed in spanish.

I discovered this difficulty when I bought mine in October when it came to texting. IMO, it would hamper more than it would help.

If all you're thinking of using this phone for is texting, I would stick to your primary phone and add an international texting bundle to both your phone packages. Don't know who your carrier is, but Rogers offers international travel packs that will include some roaming coverage, talk and text; I add it often when going south...costs about $50, good for 30 days or if you use up all the available package, whichever comes first. When 30 days is up, it's wiped from your profile.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get a cell phone for use for 10 days in PV ?

If you have Rogers in canada?

We used to get a PV add on for our phone $25? month but we never got a month out of it. Used the phone for text & local calls A LOT looking for condos for rent but still got 2 weeks out of it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get a cell phone for use for 10 days in PV ?

You can add an international text only bundle for $25, but I'm pretty sure that's for texting international numbers, not phone-to-phone with Canadian numbers.

Roaming coverage would be preferable.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get a cell phone for use for 10 days in PV ?

You make a good point PVJennybean - texting on the cheapy phones here is pretty annoying. But buying credit and just calling between the cheap phones is pretty affordable if you keep the convos short.

Wifi is pretty prevalent here in PV. I like bcamp0266's idea of just texting from wifi. Hotels charge for wifi I guess, but most restaurants/bars offer complementary connection.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get a cell phone for use for 10 days in PV ?

I made sure years ago that every time I stopped somewhere for a drink during the day, like Andale's or Cafe San Angel, that I would get their wi-fi codes. Once they are in your phone they are good from trip to trip, as they generally don't change the codes unless they change providers. So I have wi-fi now all up and down Olas Altas.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get a cell phone for use for 10 days in PV ?

Again, if you have Rogers, speak to them about the PV add on, NOT international.

With the PV add on if both phones were in PV text & calls were local, also calls on my cell to 322# in PV were local.

I have not used this for 2 yrs now but might still be available.

Cool, California
Level Contributor
92 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get a cell phone for use for 10 days in PV ?

bcamp, we have iPhones and I have never heard of this. We tried it here in our house, where we have wi-fi and it isn't work.

We get a message saying we need to usable airplane mode o send a text. Are we missing something? Thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I get a cell phone for use for 10 days in PV ?

ian - the PV option wasn't available through Rogers in October (my last trip, I'm a Rogers customer).

Conner:

"You make a good point PVJennybean - texting on the cheapy phones here is pretty annoying. But buying credit and just calling between the cheap phones is pretty affordable if you keep the convos short."

Very true. Calls were simple...but I received a text from JR one afternoon and I spent about half an hour trying to text back (I'm a prolific texter so it wasn't me LOL), it was frustrating beyond belief so I said forget it and phoned him. (-;

I'll stick to texting on my smartphone with applicable package or data/text bundle from now on.