We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive to P.V.

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellingham...
5 posts
Save Topic
drive to P.V.

We want to drive to Puerto Vallarta in March from the U.S. Anyone have any info about safety issues? Should we hire someone to drive with us? Everyone is worried about us driving but we'll be there for 2 months and would love to have a car with us. Should we take a junker? My husband wants to take the Prius. Thanks- Katie O

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive to P.V.

Katie, we are driving down mid-April. This will be my third time driving. We very much enjoy it! It's great to have a car for longer stays. We are pretty sure we're taking our old Subaru, not our red SUV.

On my first drive, with a girlfriend, we got lost in a bad part of Tucson. Last drive, with my husband, I was kinda creeped out by the number of people lurking around the hotel parking lot at midnight. We were in Nogales, AZ. We felt not only safe, but welcomed once we crossed the border.

If you are on Facebook, there is a group called "On the road in Mexico". I've picked up lots of interesting and helpful info there. Sometimes, people post trying to get a caravan together.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,931 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive to P.V.

There is some driving info in Top Questions on the Pacific Coast forum page.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive to P.V.

The safety issue has been blown out of proportion by the media north of the border, don't believe it. I think in 10 years one tourist was shot. Bet you can't say that for Bellingham ?

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,423 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive to P.V.

"Should we take a junker?"

Do you really want to drive 2000 miles in a junker?

I'm pretty sure one of Spotcat's road trips was all girls, they all survived and we will see her after their drive down this spring.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive to P.V.

Yes, one of my road trips was with a girlfriend. Nope, our husbands weren't worried.

We will take our car to the mechanic and tell him we're driving to Mexico. If he says okay, we'll take our older car. If not, I'll see if someone wants to trade cars and use my gas guzzler for six weeks. I would be comfortable driving a Prius, as would my wallet.

Teduardo, you know I'll see you on the beach! Please let Gail know that I'll have full-sized products if she needs anything.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,276 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive to P.V.

Your best resource is Mexico Connect.

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?forum=12;guest=48086436

Low clearance vehicles are not good. They do have Prius here but they have been manufactured to be tougher here. I know that, because we have a Kentucky built Camry Hybrid and she don´t like the roads

If you have a Jeep, or other tough vehicle, , etc, by all means, bring it down, but, if you have a sedan, etc., stick to toll roads.

Bellingham...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: drive to P.V.

Thank you. With the banditos our family is worried. I'm not as scared. I'll check the facebook page. Thanks, We'll be in San Poncho working for Entreamigos. Katie O

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drive to P.V.

Tell your family to turn off the TV :)

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: drive to P.V.

So far, I have made the trip from the U.S. to Puerto Vallarta, or Guadalajara, about ten times. The most recent time was about two weeks ago. I had no problems. Enjoy your adventure!

A few quick suggestions:

Don't forget to buy Mexican auto insurance because your U.S. policy is probably no good in Mexico.

Don't forget to get your Temporary Auto Importation Permit sticker when you enter Mexico, and be sure to surrender the sticker when you leave.

Take the toll (Cuota) roads when you can as they are faster, in better condition and "crime-wise" safer than the free highways.

Try to limit your highway diving to daylight hours. Not only are you "crime-wise" safer, but you will also have better visibility of any potholes, debris or animals that might be in your path.

Take extra precaution when driving "the curves" that you will encounter, on Mexico Highway 200, after passing the town of Compostela, Nayarit and heading through the mountains towards Las Varas. This is a 20 km. section of the highway that has lots of sharp curves and almost no places to safely pass any slow-moving traffic that you will most likely encounter along the stretch. Take your time and arrive safely!

Edited: 18 December 2012, 11:58
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: drive to P.V.

I drove San Francisco Bay Area to Zihuatanejo alone in 2005.

Nary a problem but stuck mostly to the toll roads when possible.

Now I find I can get along nicely without a car relying on buses & my many amigos in Mexico.