We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical storm Evan

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
203 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Tropical storm Evan

I there a tropical cyclone Evan in the Pacific now? Can I Cyclone turn into a hurricane this late in the year? I Thought hurricane season over.I seen the advisor on a weather website.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical storm Evan

Suggest you look at a map. The Pacific Ocean is quite large and Evan is no where near the coast of Mexico.

Edited: 19 December 2012, 17:11
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical storm Evan

It's now a Category 3 cyclone, but it's way out in the South Pacific. It just struck Fiji and Samoa in the last few days. That's nowhere close to Puerto Vallarta. The US Hurricane Season is over, but on the other (southern) side of the world it's late spring, approaching summer.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
canada
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical storm Evan

Jane, I don't think that's what Pam is asking. A rare cyclone like Evan is a Super Tower. I suppose since it's so tall it could turn in to a hurricane if it elongates.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,996 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical storm Evan

I thought cyclone was simply the Pacific ocean name for a hurricane? No? They are the same thing as a hurricane.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical storm Evan

Currently NOAA has no advisories of any kind.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

NASA shows Tropical Storm Evan (not a cyclone) heading towards Fiji which thousands of miles from PV.

nasa.gov/mission_pages/…h2012_Evan.html

In other words unless you're headed to Fiji there is nothing to worry about.

Edited: 19 December 2012, 17:35
Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical storm Evan

Hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons are all essentially the same thing. They simply receive different names depending on where they occur.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical storm Evan

My bad…it was a cyclone when it hit Fiji, but is now weakening.

It is still way too far from PV to worry.

canada
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical storm Evan

You're right Rissask....I think it does mean the same thing but I'm old and confused! At least that's the excuse I'm going to use for the ignorance on the subject matter. In the Wizard of Oz the author Frank Baum explicitly called it a cyclone?

As I visualize the black and white it doesn't make sense to say a hurricane hit it?

canada
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical storm Evan

I digress.

Why would Frank Baum use the term Cyclone? Last time I checked Dorthys house was in Kansas and Frank is an American author? A cyclone is specific to the Southern Hemisphere.....OK that's it, time for a beer. Connor, pour me a cold. I'm coming to see you, clearly too much sun today.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical storm Evan

Let's see Evan is over 5,000 miles away, am I worried ?? :)