We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying medicine over the counter in PV. Is it possible?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Buying medicine over the counter in PV. Is it possible?

Purchasing cholesterol and blood pressure pills over the counter, is it possible to do there?

My partener is not covered by our medical system and his overseas insurance doesnt cover such medication. Any advice on obtaining pills such as pravastatin or ramapril?

His pills are starting to run out and wewill be going to PV next week and would rather be able to obtain them in the most inexpensive way possible,

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying medicine over the counter in PV. Is it possible?

You can buy that sort of medication over the counter but Mexico doesn't have the same brand names or products that you have at home. They don't have Ramapril or Pravastatin (at least under those names). Can you not bring a supply from home with you? Your doctor should be able to prescribe enough for your vacation as long as it's a short stay. Other wise ask him/her if he knows a Mexican equivalent of the medication you're taking.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,375 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying medicine over the counter in PV. Is it possible?

Most of the larger pharmacies in PV have a PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) behind the counter in English. Ask for it and go to the section of pink pages, the meds are listed alphabetically. Once you find the med show it to the pharmacy clerk and they can usually cross reference it in their Spanish version.

Again, it would be best to bring it with you, at least enough to get you through your trip, since those are not meds that you can just switch to something else or stop taking when you run out.

North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying medicine over the counter in PV. Is it possible?

You'd have to know the generic names of your drugs.

Many of the large pharmacies like Guadalahara pharmacy have many generic brands.

Do your homework before you arrive.

Michael

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,188 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying medicine over the counter in PV. Is it possible?

I've got no input on what's available in PV with respect to cheaper drugs, but I am going to suggest your check the price out in Canada first. I've heard of Mexican drugs being less expensive than the US, but I'm not sure that hold for Canada.

I take ramapril and a different statin and a 60 day supply of them run me approx. $40.00 each.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying medicine over the counter in PV. Is it possible?

Thanks for the input.

Actually' he is not plugged into the Canadian medical system and a

visit to a doctor here is quite expensive. He needed to replace his current pills and thinks it would be less expensive to do in Mexico

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,188 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying medicine over the counter in PV. Is it possible?

I'm going to suggest trying a local pharmacist, first. Cheers!

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,375 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying medicine over the counter in PV. Is it possible?

The PDR will give the name of the drug, the pharmacy will know if they have a generic available.

United States
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying medicine over the counter in PV. Is it possible?

Yes, you can buy these drugs over the counter. The generic for pravastatin would be pravachol (10 mg) and the generic name for ramapril would be altace (5 mg). If you want to verify that I would suggest inquiring at Guadalajara Farmacia, although sometimes I find the language barrier can be a bit of an issue for us. Since we are in MX for an extended time and my husband does take meds for high blood pressure he buys the generic equivalent there.