We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how many of you upgrade rooms once you get to the resort?

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
260 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
how many of you upgrade rooms once you get to the resort?

Thinking about going to Now Amber or Secrets in PV

curious as to how many people upgrade their rooms once they get to the resorts and if its a better deal to do it when you get there?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how many of you upgrade rooms once you get to the resort?

I do, sometimes if they are not that busy, they do it for no cost, but I will tip (others may say I'm giving a bribe) the front desk guy to upgrade us and most of the time we do get it. If you don't want to tip, just ask what the rate is and then ask if you pay in pesos would you be able to get a better deal than if you pay by cc.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,403 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how many of you upgrade rooms once you get to the resort?

Guess I've been lucky in PV as I almost always get what is described (I usually get PV rooms through RCI exchanges or Extra Weeks) and have had some good places. Once I upgraded (or changed) at the Krystal, as the assigned room didn't fit my needs. They were very willing to change me though, as they weren't full.

I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade though, if it didn't look like the room I had would meet my needs (and especially if the place was not full) but so far I really haven't had to, getting good spaces. Not sure I'd ever go in to a place, anticipating to have to upgrade. I'd check out the room first and see if it fit the RCI description.

Good luck.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how many of you upgrade rooms once you get to the resort?

I should mention that I never book a category of room lower than what I will accept and then great if I get upgraded for free or a tip or a lower rate, but it would be a nice bonus, not a necessity.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how many of you upgrade rooms once you get to the resort?

i have done both. it depends on what my needs are for that trip, whether or not i book ahead of time. Its nice to see if you get a "free" upgrade or for cheaper but sometimes it's not cheaper....

winnipeg can
Level Contributor
129 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how many of you upgrade rooms once you get to the resort?

Sometimes you get a crappy room and have to do the "Mexican Room Shuffle". Bothersome,but necessary, We understand they have to book the ugly rooms too. Most of the time "no problema" others ,not so much. We stand our ground and do get the better room,eventually

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how many of you upgrade rooms once you get to the resort?

We like the rooms that are higher for the view. So we have requested them whenwe arrived and have no proplem getting a hight room. One time the price was a downgrade, but I told them to keep the extra. I liked the view better in the cheaper room.

"Funman"

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how many of you upgrade rooms once you get to the resort?

I've stayed 2x in Playa Los Arcos - i booked a better than basic room & paid for it - the first time, no problem, got a good room - second time, i got what i know was a lower grade than what i paid for - i pointed out the problem & they showed me another room that was also, not what i had paid for - they said they would have a room the following day for me - fine - i didn't want to quibble over the one night of a lower cost room, but they really should have offered me something for the inconvenience - free breakfast maybe? Or at the very least a free drink? I don't hold it against them & would stay there again in a minute! But when i pay for a certain grade room, i expect to get a certain grade room - don't know about the larger hotels in the hotel zone, marina & nuevo, but at the smaller hotels in the zona romantica, i wouldn't expect to get any sort of upgrade, paid for or otherwise, in high season - i totally agree with post #3 that i wouldn't book a lower grade room hoping for a free or lower cost upgrade -

United States
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how many of you upgrade rooms once you get to the resort?

Lopo,

I've stayed in Playa Los Arcos many times and have always got the exact room # I want. I always speak to Marguerta every time I book and she even lets me pick the room! I don't upgrade there because I pay for the room I want. And it's even more special if you always get to stay in the same room every time you go. Try booking with Marguerita. I feel anyone there, but especially her since she knows me now, go out of their way to make your trip memorable.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,473 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: how many of you upgrade rooms once you get to the resort?

If I want a certain room type, I book it rather than trying to grease the wheels or get it free.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how many of you upgrade rooms once you get to the resort?

We always book and pay for the room type we want.

The times we have stayed at PLA we have never been downgraded.

>>"Mexican Room Shuffle". Bothersome,but necessary,<<<<

I have never heard of this before and don't like the wording at all. I have had this happen to me in Canada and the States but would never say American or Canadian Room Shuffle, Bothersome but necessary.