We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta + ? in June

California
Level Contributor
674 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Vallarta + ? in June

My daughter will be getting married in June. Originally she was planning a January wedding but didn't like how crowded it would be that time of year so decided to delay the wedding until June. She knows about the weather in June but prefers hot (and perhaps rainy) to crowded.

I will have about one week or so to spend in Mexico in addition to time spent in Puerto Vallarta. Back when the wedding was going to be in January, I was planning on going to the Copper Canyon but it sounds pretty hot and dry in June so I'm tending towards saving that trip for another time.

So where would you recommend spending time? Guadalajara immediately jumps to mind but I don't know that I'd want to spend an entire week there. I'd like to go somewhere - how can I put it? - that actually feels like I'm in Mexico. I went to Playa del Carmen a few years ago and felt like I could have been in Arizona or southern California. I would also like nice weather.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta + ? in June

We're spending a week of our next trip in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, a small town north of Vallarta. A few years ago, we spent part of our time in Bucerias. We're driving down, so plan to explore a few of the towns to the south. We are also spending ten at a B&B in a typically Mexican colonia. If I wanted chain hotels on the beach, I'd stay in SoCal!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,351 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Vallarta + ? in June

If it hasn't started raining as yet during the time you are there (which it hadn't earlier this year when we were there until mid-June), make sure to spend a couple of days in San Sebastian del Oeste OR even exploring down to Talpa and Mascota.

If the heavy summer rains haven't started (not likely, as that is usually in July), the mountain roads should be solid for a leisurely drive into those areas. Cooler in temp than Puerto Vallarta and much to see and eat (plenty of good restaurants in San Sebastian, most notably Montebello).

Have a great trip and family wedding.

BC
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallarta + ? in June

You can go to Guadalajara for a few days--stay in Tlaquepaque or the historical central area, both are nice. Then go on by first class bus to Guanajuato--definitely Mexico and quite lovely.

You can fly home from Guadalajara instead of PV--very nice alternative and Alaska gives you a checked bag for free.

Zihuatanejo in January is not busy and would have been a perfect place for your daughter's wedding. I stayed at the Brisas del Mar hotel in Zihua and thought what a beautiful place it would be for that purpose. It has a beautiful area overlooking the ocean. Zihua is much nicer than PV in January as the water is warm enough to swim in and it is not freezing cold at night.

California
Level Contributor
674 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Vallarta + ? in June

Thanks for the suggestions! Guanajuato has been on my wish list for a few years now but I wasn't sure about the logistics. But we can fly to Guadalajara, spend a few days there, and then take the bus to Guanajuato. After visiting Guanajuato, we can take the bus back to Guadalajara and then go to Puerto Vallarta. After the wedding, we can explore some of these areas that are close to Puerto Vallarta.

Zihuatanejo does sound lovely but air fares are much higher than for going to Puerto Vallarta and my daughter and future son-in-law are trying to keep the costs down for their wedding guests.

BC
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallarta + ? in June

We went by ETN bus PV-Guadalajara, then on to Guanajuato and then back to Guadalajara, staying both times in Guadalajara, once in Tlaquepaque and the second time in the Centro, The bus was great, very comfortable.

Too bad your fares are high to Zihua. When we went in January 2012, I took advantage of an almost last minute sell-off and flew there very cheaply. Loved it!

6. Re: Puerto Vallarta + ? in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2014, 10:17