We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using copy of Passport at Cambios?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Unionville
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Using copy of Passport at Cambios?

Can we use a photocopy of a passport to exchange currency at the cambios?

winnipeg
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using copy of Passport at Cambios?

I have never used ID at a cambio just give cash they give pesos back.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using copy of Passport at Cambios?

travelersware, Mexican law require them to log the passport of anyone exchanging USD, it does not apply to CAD.

I doubt they'd accept a copy of one, but do not know for sure as I get all of our pesos from ATMs, which IMO is the easiest way and usually the best exchange rate.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,177 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Using copy of Passport at Cambios?

I'd be surprised if they accepted a copy in place of the original.

A tip: if you go to CiBanco to exchange your cash, you only have to take the passport once, the first time. They create an "account" with a number for you, then you just have to use that number next time you go back to exchange. There is a location in the hotel zone, and one on Olas Altas on the south side.

All that said, ATMs do not require ID. Nor are they restricted by the currency laws applied to USD cash exchanges in Mexico. Food for thought. (-:

winnipeg
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using copy of Passport at Cambios?

I forgot about u.s. Exchange laws just use ATM they r safe.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,846 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using copy of Passport at Cambios?

I would say most likely original. Ci Banco as stated makes an account for you so you just need to show it once then you have a number/account ...

If you do make copies please note in Mexico it is considered illegal to make colored copies of any documents like license, passport etc...so if copy do it in black and white only..just saying..

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,270 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using copy of Passport at Cambios?

As said, if I had to exchange US dollars (which I didn't this past month in Puerto Vallarta), I would go to CiBanco. Did that last year and in June.

As we have observed, the "rules" are still not consistent but even when I stayed at Villa del Palmar in June (where I'd been many time before), the cambio window --- which gave the going rate at banks --- did ask for my original passport, on exchanging USD. And, that's in a hotel where I was staying. They were observing the rules and gave me a great rate.

Can't comment on this last month in PV as I only took pesos out, on the ATM. No cambio.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using copy of Passport at Cambios?

I exchanged USD last week at a cambio on Insurgentes just south of the river and was not asked for a passport. In fact, I asked her if she wanted it and she said no. Very surprised by that.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
607 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using copy of Passport at Cambios?

I haven't exchanged money in our last visit or two as we use the ATMs, but previously, I had always brought my driver's license when exchanging money at the casa de cambios as I never wanted to carry my passport around. They were happy with my DL as an id.

9. Re: Using copy of Passport at Cambios?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2014, 10:17