We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Customs line

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
206 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Long Customs line

Visited PVR Dec 16-23. We arrived about 3pm on Sunday and when we got off the plane we found the line to go thru customs went all the way up the ramp to the end of the jetway from our plane! I have never seen such a long line and was not happy to stand in line for 55 minutes for customs after a 4.5 hour plane ride. After that we had to get our luggage and stand in line for another 15 minutes or so. They need to get this fixed or i am not coming back. They did not even have all of the customs desks open. They only had about 3-4 people working. I have been to PVR 3 times before and it was usually fairly quick.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,473 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Customs line

Welcome to high season travel.

Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Customs line

Edited: 04 January 2013, 02:52
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,442 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Customs line

that's why i go in june too---suffered through it last week---was well worth the misery though

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Customs line

55 is a long time, only experienced a long line like that once and waited around 35 minutes. Got to know our neighbors in line so the time passed. Weekends are busier.

I don't think 15 minutes is that bad going through the luggage scan and passport check after getting your luggage. 15 minutes or less seems about the norm to me.

Everybody is anxious to get out of the airport.....but it will take more than than to keep me from going to PV. :-)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,473 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Customs line

If there is more than one plane arriving at the same time, 15 minutes at the x-ray machines at customs is pretty standard. It bottlenecks there even in shoulder season.

I've waited up to an hour at immigration in Canadian airports before, it's definitely not a Mexico-only problem. I guess doing that has made me chill with it when it happens at PVR. (-:

Edited: 04 January 2013, 03:23
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Customs line

I've not waited that long in PV for immigration, but maybe 20 mins. most. Probably been lucky, we will see in a few weeks how that goes. But we were used to for years for the Cancun immigration lines which were 1 - 3 hours before the airport expansion, so PV seemed short in comparison. Just my experience there. My last few to Cancun have been 5 mins. max. Hoping for that in PV soon:)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,197 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Customs line

If you're coming in on the Saturday Westjet from E'mton, you might wait 2 full hours.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Customs line

Nope, the Wednesday. Would hate to wait the 2 hours with a 10, 7 and 18 month old, plus one husband.lol

Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Customs line

When we arrived on the 28th the lines were snaking all the way back to the jetway also. But after doing the same dance last year, we swooped around to the right side of the immigration lines by where the flights crews go through and got through in about 15 minutes in contrast to the hour + we would of had to wait otherwise. Also I noticed that the red light was going off more frequently at customs than I have seen in the past, like every other person was red lighted.

BC
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Customs line

Immigration lines in the USA are the worst. I've waited one hour plus in Seattle, Los Angeles and New York City. Stuffed into a windowless, hot hallway one time and with three young kids another time.

They can often use a two tier system, where the USA citizens go through a separate, faster line, so maybe you have never noticed the lines in your own country.