We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to PV forum with a few questions

North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
New to PV forum with a few questions

Looking at a trip to PV in the near future. Me and wife go to Playa del Carmen a couple of times a year and are looking for a change of scenery. Looking for a smaller hotel, non AI, with a nice sandy beach and pool within walking distance to restaurants and other activities. Is this possible and does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,037 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to PV forum with a few questions

Yes, it's very possible however your question is non-specific and there are so many options, in activities, scenery, hotels and food ---- that you will be stunned.

PdC is very different from Puerto Vallarta. I have a timeshare in PdC and, believe me, they are like night and day, in the general category of vacationing in Mexico.

It would help us help you if you could offer more information and if you researched the Top Questions (to the right of this forum) to narrow in on what interests you and what your preferences are. After you do that, please come back here and ask specific questions.

We're here to help, but need more specifics.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to PV forum with a few questions

Either Playa Los Arcos or the Tropicana on Los Muertos Beach, would fit your bill, they are optional AI, not worth it with our great selection of restaurants.

Edited: 19 January 2013, 18:48
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to PV forum with a few questions

playa los arcos--my vote

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to PV forum with a few questions

How are you with hills and stairs?

North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to PV forum with a few questions

Thanks so far for all the input. No problems with hills or stairs as we are both very active and fit.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to PV forum with a few questions

Where have you stayed in Playa del Carmen and what are you looking for in accommodations?

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,831 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to PV forum with a few questions

One way that the town of PV is different than the town of Playa del Carmen is that the tourists use almost all parts of the city along with the locals, whereas in PdC the majority of tourists stick to 5th ave. You'll find all the nice restaurants, shops and bars that are on 5th avenue scattered around PV but interspersed with many more wonderful small Mexican owned eateries and taco carts.

These are good maps of PV and you'll find the mentioned smaller hotels on this map. This is the south side and is a very popular area full of restaurants, bars, and shops. You can "move up" or "down" to see other areas.

vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

Both places mentioned are not big mega places. I see you stayed at Playa Maya. I stayed at Hotel Alhambra. Based on your stay at PM I think Playa los Arcos would be a good match for somewhere on the ocean, not too big, and in a main area. Actually Playa los Arcos has 3 places to choose from and you can use all three whatever you choose.

Edited: 19 January 2013, 19:55
Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,831 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to PV forum with a few questions

Oh I meant to say the 3 are within about a block of each other. Also, there are other much smaller places to stay, but not on the beach. A budget would help with other suggestions.

Happy Planning!

North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New to PV forum with a few questions

Thanks Kansas for your help. Budget is really not an issue. What we love about Playa is that you can wonder all over and feel very comfortable and safe, and we actually avoid 5 th ave as much as possible. We like being in the ocean alot . Is the water as nice in PV? My wife is a culinary teacher so and we really love eating with the locals and experimenting.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New to PV forum with a few questions

Much more varied styles of restaurants and, from what I've heard, far more, from Haute Cuisine to economical local style places.