We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Cooler

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Cooler

Excited to have booked our vacation tonight. This will be our first time doing two weeks so it gets me thinking about things a litte differently.One thing is the need to slow down and relax. Usually we are go go go.

I have to find a way to stay healthy. I have a habit of stomach illness which is likely a combo of all the likely culprits- heat, booze, dehydration, funny food (Ill eat anything...).

We stay at the Trop, and LOVE IT every time. My question is about a good cooler for use on the beach and in the room for coll bevs and snacks/sands. I could get a styro one and hope to keep it alive for two weeks but there has to be a better way.

Collapsable one from home? Perhaps, but they leak. No good for the room.

Buy a hard side at Walmart and leave it for someone there? I suppose.... I wish the Trop had the room to hold on to it to share with folks going forward.

Take a cooler from home as my suitcase? Duct tape it up with clothes inside?

Borrow one from J.R. or elcala and buy them dinner in exchange? Lol... prob not, but I am going to meet JR at his afternoon bar this time come hell or high water.

Anyone have any sugg's?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Cooler

Across the street for the Trop is a small store that that sell everything you could want including coolers for a few dollars and ice. Bread. Beer. Cheese. Ho made guacamole,. We buy 4 coolers and fit them together to make two good coolers. Red neck refrigerator.

"Funman"

Edited: 26 January 2013, 03:58
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Cooler

Yeah, the guac there is amazing. Just not sure the styro job is going to last long.

BTW- Ive got lots of great tips from you over the years, Funman. Now youre making great vids to- thanks bud.

Seeing how I have you on the line, where is the breakfast place everyone talks about across from the Trop? Going to switch it up a few times from the hotel breaky.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Cooler

Deej, Fusion Gourmet on the corner of Amapas and Pilitas (I think) a but further north than the Trop, has an excellent and economical breakfast. Also, Coco's Kitchen on Pulpito east of Amapas.

I've seen several people travel with a cooler as a piece of luggage. Depending on how large of one you want for the room, you could do that or one of the styrofoam when you get there. I know they're not very durable, but they're cheap and can be replaced easily. These are just my initial thoughts, as I don't have to worry about that. My hotel has a frig in the room.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Cooler

How long does the "styro job" have to last ????

U R over planning - relax !

Edited: 26 January 2013, 04:41
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Cooler

seems like a practical soution. I could get alot of clothes in a cooler I think. No frig at the Trop.

I think it is cocos that ive heard about.... didnt know Fusion was open in the AM. Awesome dinners there though. Thanks Deb.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Cooler

I smashed two styros last year- overplanning AND oversqueezing I guess.Maybe ur right.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
212 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Cooler

We bought a soft sided cooler at Walmart in the US and took it with us to Cabo last year. Worked great. Taking it to PV this year. Frooze water in water bottles bought there when we arrived. Refroze nightly.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,275 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Cooler

If you don't want to go with styrofoam upon arrival, I'd get a small collapsable one and use it as your carry-on luggage. Does Tropicana have room frigs available? I know some hotels do for a small extra price?

suze

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
84 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Cooler

Use 2 Styro coolers - place one inside the other for more rigidity. And you'll have an extra cover in case one disintegrates! 😄

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Cooler

A styro coooler for the room wouldn't leak, and a collapsable one for the beach would be conveneinet and more durable.