We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phytonplankton

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
phytonplankton

(green)phytoplankton

has anyone seen this in either the PV or riviera nayarit areas??

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phytonplankton

It's around at times, no way to predict, that I know of, ask some people to go out and stamp on the beach at night :)

Prince George...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phytonplankton

Yes we saw this our very first trip to vallarta in Jan 2008. We were staying at the holiday inn. It was beautiful. It was blue though I think? We have been back 5 times so far since then and have never seen it again.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phytonplankton

Seems to go hand-in-hand with red tide. I've only seen the blue, and both times it was along with red tide in the bay.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 02:32
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phytonplankton

Tami and I were walking the beach several years ago in PV and saw our footprints glowing from this plankton.

There was a nice size surf that nice and I went to our room and videoed the glowing surf. I will dig through my old video's and try to find that night. It was magical.

This video is similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HcQlQlKt2w

"Funman"

Edited: 01 February 2013, 06:18
Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phytonplankton

Yes, mainly blue but I have seen green. Most memorable was coming back from Rhythms of the Night with my then boyfriend on our first romantic date. One of the crew drug us to the back of the boat to see the plankton and the bright blue shimmer in the wake from the engines. It was amazing. Then he kissed me and I forgot all about the blue crap in the water :)

6. Re: phytonplankton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 06:17