We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torn about Barcelo ..

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Torn about Barcelo ..

I have a co-worker that booked Barcelo PV. I am a daily reader in this forum, and am well aware of the issues at Barcelo. When he booked his once in a 10 year vacay, I said, be careful and watch the reviews. He said he didn't want to hear it, he wanted to look forward to his vacay, not worry. But, I want to warn him about Barcelo again. I contacted Sunwing on his behalf, but they blew me off. I would love it if the tour companies out of Canada dropped this property. Should I warm him, or will it ruin the pre-vacay excitement unnecessarily?

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torn about Barcelo ..

You mean he literally told you he didn't want to hear it? Assume you're worried he'll come back...say he was sick, and why didn't you tell him it was still going on?

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torn about Barcelo ..

My edit ran out.....I wanted to add that I know you care about it....it's not just that he might be upset with you.

Possibly bring up a relative who got sick with bad flu....maybe he'll say "I hate it when I'm that sick", and that's your opening for telling him people are still getting really sick at Barcelo and many people are changing accommodations.

Or, be blunt and come out with it.

Either way, I would be very descriptive, especially if he has kids.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 03:06
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torn about Barcelo ..

Just tell him alot of folks said they got sick there.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torn about Barcelo ..

I mentioned that it was the property that has a history of sickness. He said oh, don't make we worry! He then said that it's just something that is a problem everywhere - it's Mexico. But I tried to tell him to do his due diligence , and check reviews, that maybe this property has to be monitored.

Well, now almost two months later..sould I say something or be quiet and ..

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torn about Barcelo ..

I would tell him to look at the reviews and then leave it alone. No need to ruin someone's excitement about their vacay if you have advised them to look at the reviews already. As a travel agent, I can tell you why the tour operators in Canada don't drop this property, it's because it has such a high rate of return and is very popular. This is why they all sell it. People are not usually glutten for punishment, so the high return rate that I have there and the tour operators tell you that not all are getting sick. I'm not doubting people's individual stories by any means, but am saying, tour operators don't generally keep renewing their contracts with properties they have many complaints with or who don't sell.

JMO

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Torn about Barcelo ..

Exactly why I have reminded him again to check out reviews and have due diligence. If I knew the travel agent would allow him to redirect his vacay to a different property, I would not hesitate to warn him again. But, if he is stuck with this sub par property, with no recourse from the travel agent, then I will stay silent. But I hope he doesn't get sick, if he does, I will feel horrible. If he does fall ill, I hope he sues the travel agents for not warning him. It is sad that the travel industry puts up with such properties that are putting lives at risk. I hope his pregnant wife doesnt' get sick. I will assist him with any law suit , God forbid it goes there.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 05:31
Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Torn about Barcelo ..

Sorry im confused....this property had a bout of norovirus run through, no? Ive only read the first couple of pages and thats what it seems like. Or has this been going on for years there?

Norovirus hit many many places in nov dec...and not just pv or even mex.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,298 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Torn about Barcelo ..

CDL- Yes this has "been going on for years there". Not consistently but off and on, for years. I have heard of no other resort or hotel in PV that has this problem come up over and over again.

snorkler- I don't know how to best handle it with your coworker. Were I in his shoes, I'd be especially worried traveling with a pregnant woman, and would want to change resort choices. But if he's really stuck with Barcelo, and doesn't want your advice, I don't know there's really anything you can do.

suze

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,778 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Torn about Barcelo ..

All you can do is advise, and then let it go. Ultimately it's his personal responsibility and not yours. You're not family and not his spouse...although honestly were I in his shoes it would be her I would be more concerned about being that she's pregnant.

There's a chance nothing could happen and he'll enjoy the holiday. There's a chance they may fall ill. Either way, it's beyond your control and if it does happen all you can do is say you tried to warn them.

Can you talk to his wife, perhaps? You have to wonder if because his head is buried so firmly in the sand whether he's even mentioned your conversations to her. I suspect with her condition she's a lot more attuned to how she's feeling and attuned to ensuring she stays healthy for the baby to come. That might be all you can do. If you can speak to her then be gentle about it but point her in the direction of the specific and detailed reviews...and if she also doesn't want to hear it, then at that point you really do have to let it go as it's totally out of your hands.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 16:04
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Torn about Barcelo ..

Let it go. You have done your best, he is not interested and you are not responsible for what happens - good or bad. We all travel differently and you need to respect his wishes to go and see what happens.

I have a friend who is going on their first cruise next week. We are NOT talking about the Triumph!