We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Barcelo for Easter

Prince Rupert...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Barcelo for Easter

We are travelling to Barcelo with a group of 15 of us. Getting excited but also a little scared because of the illness going on now. We were in Playa Del Carmen for New Years and we got sick there thanks to a flu outbreak. We aren't able to change the resort since its for a wedding group so hopefully it will remedy itself by then. We get there the evening of March 30 for a week. Any others braving the odds as well at that time?

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Barcelo for Easter

Things at the Barcelo float up and down ( no pun intended ) and at the end of March things could be fine. I was there in Dec and was sick but others were there the very same time and were fine. Look at it this way, things are booked so make the most out of your trip. Great resort with decent food and you will be at a wedding...happy times right? Take a few precautions ahead and while you are there and things should be fine. Make sure the whole group walks up to the zoo, the zoo is fun but a few small cantinas and tequlla shops to visit as well. If the weather doesn't change here soon, I may there with you....

Mike :)

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
537 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Barcelo for Easter

We are heading there on March 8th and I will report back when we return. I have been to Mexico annually the last five years and many times before that. I am a faithful review writer (since I find them so helpful when I research) and will provide the good, the bad and the ugly upon my return! :) Hopefully mostly good! Clearly I did not research as well as I usually do, but have stayed at Barcelo's in the past with good experiences.

Kim

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Barcelo for Easter

We are going March 23 with 2 other couples and are very nervous about all the sickness we have read on here about the Barcelo as well, we are wondering if we should change hotels. I have also heard that things do change there at the end of March so I am hoping. Hopefully things will all go well for you there and no one gets sick :)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Barcelo for Easter

I thought this property was very beautiful and hope you have a wonderful time. We thought it was very clean and enjoyed the food (for the two meals we were there as I was on a day pass/site inspection) and we used the water to wash baby bottles. I also had 3 sets of couples at different weeks in Jan. (and I met up with one of the couples) and none of them got sick and they didn't know of anyone else getting sick. And I've said this before, but to be fair, if people were sick, maybe they wouldn't have seen them if they were in their rooms, but they enjoyed it and I hope you do as well.

Please post when you get back to let everyone know how it went for you.

Cheers;)

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Barcelo for Easter

I'd change it, it's not worth the worry.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Barcelo for Easter

I have never stayed there due to the reports annually of sickness.. hmm.

kansas city
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Barcelo for Easter

I am to go next week and really thinking of changing resort. You always read about people getting sick but am really concerned about it this time as there have been numerous reports. The Melia in Cabo was great has any one been to the one in PV? Dont want my vacation ruined by sickness but would prefer to stay at barcelo. Does anyone recommend another AI?

Prince Rupert...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Barcelo for Easter

We've been to Barcelo before and thought it was amazing. I'm very interested in hearing from those going next week. We are leaving in 6 weeks. I really hope you enjoy your time there and don't suffer as many on here seem to be lately.

luke7562
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Barcelo for Easter

We are also going for a Wedding over Easter (March 27th-April 3rd.) We’re going with a group of 24 people or so. At this point it’s obviously way too late and costly to change venues so everyone else is still going and praying that it’s better by then. And under normal circumstances I would probably do the same but we’re also bringing our 3 year old and 7 year old kids, so at this point I’m VERY concerned. We have until March 15th to cancel for just my family, but then we’d be out a rather large deposit, miss my brother’s wedding, and have to tell my kids that they are no longer going.

I really don’t want to have to cancel but the couple of times our travel agent has contacted the hotel, they just say that everything (food) is testing clean and that the problem is just guests bringing the flu due to a bad flu season. It just seems like the hotel is in total denial that there is a problem at all, because it doesn’t matter the cause (food, flu, norovirus, ect) lots of people are still getting sick at their hotel, and it’s killing their reputation you’d think they would care enough to at least acknowledge that there is an issue.

So like everyone on here we are anxiously looking for people that are going in the next couple of weeks to give us good honest reviews of how things are going down there as it gets closer to the 15th.

luke7562
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Barcelo for Easter

Oh I did have one observation; has anyone else noticed that their Facebook page is suddenly getting really nice new photos daily, and today there was even a ‘fluffy’ youtube share your experience video. It’s like management gave up on commenting to Tripadvisor so they started concentrating on Facebook showing that everything is just fine there. I think people need to start posting their issues on Facebook also.

https://www.facebook.com/barcelovallarta