We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free wi-fi access

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cedar Rapids, IA
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Free wi-fi access

Will be staying near the marina and was wondering if there was any access to free wi-fi? Also, any spots on the malecon?

|Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
822 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free wi-fi access

Hi, I can't comment on the Marina, because we stay on the south side, but there are lots of places along the Malecon that have wifi. We used it a lot in the Sea Monkey when we were there. Have a drink and enjoy.

Happy Travels, The Cheeseheads

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free wi-fi access

Most of the restaurants in the Marina will have complimentary wifi for you, and the city opened up free wifi for the whole malecon this year! I've used it a few times and it worked pretty seamlessly. I can't think of a bar/restaurant here in Old Town that doesn't offer it's customers wifi.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free wi-fi access

We were just at Velas in the marina 2 weeks ago & neither restaurant we ate at in the marina had wifi. However, Starbucks which is up near the entrance to the marina (Plaza Neptuna) & about a 10 minute walk does offer free wifi.

washington state
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free wi-fi access

Not a real techy here, but I was told that free Wi-Fi isn't the same as in US. In other words the wi-fi might be free but you will still be using data just by having your phone on. He said that doesn't really amount to much in the US but in Mexico it will be a big expense. He said (att rep) it will work but unless I have an additional Mexican data package I could still get a huge bill because of the expense of the data part? He also said that ATT would love that because of the big bill but for my own benefit i should add a Mexican data package.

In fact they said either keep the smart phone off or in airplane mode otherwise just the "basic" date your phone uses to update and such will be a real expense???? I don't know about this any help/ input? I know, you all have I-phones :) mine is an ATT windows phone

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,498 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free wi-fi access

wi-fi vs wireless ...... much different connections.

(edit to add .... wi-fi is "free", wireless connections depend on the provider)

Edited: 19 February 2013, 23:01
washington state
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free wi-fi access

Ignore my previous post. I said I wasn't techy.

I misunderstood the Att guy before, just clarified. Airplane mode on and then wi-fi on separately, means only wi-fi and and avoid charges

Or, just turn off the data separately and you can make/get calls (charges) or use a free wi-fi connections and no charge.

Sorry and thanks.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Free wi-fi access

It has taken a bit of time but in Puerto Vallarta and area it seems new open connections are popping up on a weekly basis. Businesses are realizing the benefit of having it available for their customers.

On a personal note having access to the Internet is convenient for email etc., but I still cannot get comfortable with doing any banking etc., through an open connection.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,498 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free wi-fi access

"On a personal note having access to the Internet is convenient for email etc., but I still cannot get comfortable with doing any banking etc., through an open connection."

... via a 'free' wi-fi connection ... I couldn't agree more, and would never do!!!!!

washington state
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free wi-fi access

I just wanted to be able to access this site,or whatever while there. Also maybe

facebook etc for local PV deals from restaurants and stuff. I don't even bank on my phone from my own home secure wi fi :)

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,853 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free wi-fi access

Thanks Mrs. Marg. I am sure my son may be interested to know that..:) Starbucks it is..