We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to/from LAX over land or water?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to/from LAX over land or water?

I know this may seem like an oddball question, but can someone please tell me if the flights (specifically Delta) travel over water or land? I just want to know which side of the plane to sit on if there will be more to see than clouds. Thanks!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to/from LAX over land or water?

A plane heading from LA to PV (south) would have the ocean on the right west).

From PV to LA (north) ocean would still be west but now on the left.

If you could really see any water would depend on the route but the side of the plane would remain as noted.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,043 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to/from LAX over land or water?

In my few connections via LAX, you fly over both land and water. You can see the Pacific from the right side of the plane on the way down, and for periods of time after takeoff you can see the Sea of Cortez off the Baja peninsula on the left side.

Unless the weather is unseasonal this is generally their standard route.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to/from LAX over land or water?

From LAX we sit on the left side southbound, and on the right heading north. On the northbound flight Gail figured out why I do that when the passengers on the left side were all shutting the window shades due to the sun being directly in their faces.

A good part of the flight is usually directly over the Sea of Cortez, so both sides are about the same.

Edited: 21 February 2013, 21:07
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to/from LAX over land or water?

Thanks! I usually choose sides based on the location of the sun, but I didn't want to chance missing something significant. :)

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
295 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to/from LAX over land or water?

I always sit in an aisle seat. This way, when I look to my right I see my lovely wife. When I look to my left, I see the lovely cocktail cart.

Both are, in my opinion, remarkable views!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,142 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to/from LAX over land or water?

You are so funny, Kevin. I always sit on the aisle also but my last two trips (June and November), I was on the right side of the plane (June was in First Class on the window and November was in a row, to the right....my seat was D...where nobody was in my row so I took up D-E-F) and I saw the most amazing scenery.

This is Alaska Airlines from SFO but we do fly over LA. What I noted was good weather, for one thing. No clouds the whole way down, both times. I was watching the coastline and the deep blue of the Pacific and *suddenly* -- BAM!!! --- (like I said, no clouds), we transitioned to the Sea of Cortez and the contrast between the deep blue Pacific and then the lighter turquoise of the Sea of Cortez and all the islands was breath-taking. All these years going to PV and I'd never seen that because I'd always sat on the aisle.

Nice question. Like I said, I was on the right side of the plane but can only speak for Alaska's SFO-PVR route. It was so cool that I'm asking for a window seat next time.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to/from LAX over land or water?

Ha! Thanks for the new perspective Kevin!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to/from LAX over land or water?

Thanks Marly, that's what I needed to know! Hoping now for no clouds. :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,142 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to/from LAX over land or water?

And a route that will do for you what Alaska Airlines did for me in June and November last year. It was truly beautiful so I hope you get that experience also.

Maybe you could talk to the captain? haha, just kidding. But ---- after flying down to PV so many times over the coast all these years, the last two were wowsers.

(I'd like to be on the plane with Kevin.....he's got his priorities straight).

10. Re: Flights to/from LAX over land or water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 06:17