We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM use on our trip

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winona, Minnesota
Level Contributor
641 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
ATM use on our trip

We just returned from 3 wonderful weeks in PV!! My ONLY frustration was from ATMs. Although we bring lots of pesos with us, it was necessary to hit the ATMs the last half of our trip and it was not fun. The 3 ATMS by the bank on Olas Altas were constantly empty or not working (when they were working the lines were long and sometimes by the time it is your turn the money is out), and also heard more than one case of having the transaction go through with no cash dispensed. We did not use the Cashola machines which dispense only american dollars (??). We ended up using the cambio to exchange dollars we had brought and also found another ATM where the line only lasted 15 minutes.

It just seems to be that it should be a little easier to get $$ to spend. Will have a new plan for next year instead of spending so much time in lines and trying to find machines. Maybe the answer is to just bring more pesos and cash. Be sure to think ahead a few days, especially on the weekends!

I don't plan on ever spending that much stress and time trying to get cash next year.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM use on our trip

Well, I can relate. Was in town Feb 9-19th. Had called TD ahead. Neither of our cards worked. Luckily I had taken peso's & cash. Called bank for friends card from Cafe Roma & got it working. Later when tried mine, same issue! Never had time to call bank again, so exchanged cash. Of course, first time had US cash, but no passport on me, so no do. Lots of frustrated people lined up hoping, and problem was not just old town. Tried other ones north of river. When got back called bank. They apologized, and said there was an issue with the Mexican banking system that week. For the frustration we had, and time wasted, I will take more pesos with me next time. Or at least post first to see if all working OK in town. On a positive note, we had the BEST time ever. PV

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM use on our trip

Meant to add PV is amazing! Not sure if it was just an issue with TD. Again, did not let it spoil our fun.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM use on our trip

Had no issues with Banorte or Santander from 2 thru 16 feb. At 10 am there was seldom a lineup at Banorte on Olas Altas, and if there was it was only 3 people, and with usually 2 out of 3 machines working it was no problem.

I did try a Cashola machine, the one at the foot of Lazaro Cardenas, near Burro, and it would not recognize my card, which was no issue since I didn't want US dollars anyway.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,779 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM use on our trip

sjoMN - did you try CiBanco up the street? The Banorte machines on Olas Altas are pretty much the only other ATMs in the area since they took out the Scotia machine by the pier, and they are almost always busy this time of year. CiBanco has an exchange window AND an ATM.

They also have the lowest Mexican ATM fee at 17.40 pesos. They're on Olas Altas between R. Gomez and Pulpito, almost directly across the street from The Palm Cabaret. Green awning, can't miss it.

I've pretty much used only ATMs in Vallarta since 1998, so I wouldn't give up on it, just make sure before you go you know where there are other ATMs you can use as Plan B, because they do run out of pesos often in high season.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 23:27
Winona, Minnesota
Level Contributor
641 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM use on our trip

Yes that is the one place we did have luck, although we still waited in line because so many other people were up there with the troubles at the 3 Banorte machines. Not a huge deal, but will certainly adjust next year and wanted to warn people to not let their pesos get too low just in case....

Minnesota
Level Contributor
398 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM use on our trip

Never had a problem at the Scotiabank ATM in the Peninsula mall. No lines and no shortage of pesos. The cost for a transaction was 24.36 pesos or about $ 2 US dollars. We went past the Cibanco ATM next to Blake's Sports Bar and there was a very long line. This was in late Jan.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM use on our trip

There are 2 Cashola machines outside Nach Daddy.I thought 1 had pesos

Winona, Minnesota
Level Contributor
641 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM use on our trip

Thought they were both dollars, but I could be wrong. We have NEVER seen anyone using these so was wondering why....thought they have a higher fee like the OXXO atms.

Lake Mills...
Level Contributor
917 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM use on our trip

Cashola machines outside of Nacho Daddy's charge a whopping 90+ pesos per transaction. Buyer beware.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 03:24
wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM use on our trip

Just watch your card! Had friends who came to visit us for 2 weeks. They used their debit at only 2 different ATM's.They left here a week ago. He called me yesterday to say watch out. He got a call from his bank and someone had skimmed his card and was trying to use it in Cancun. They caught it in time. So watch where you use your card. The only 2 places he used his was at CiBanco, and the Cashola by Nacho Daddy. I use the ATM at CiBanco all winter and have had no problems.