We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar Rental Car by Puerto Vallarta Airport Ripoff

Gig Harbor...
4 posts
Save Topic
Dollar Rental Car by Puerto Vallarta Airport Ripoff

Just got home and found out Dollar Rental Car ripped me off. Tried to give them my debit card to pay for the car and they ran it, then told me I needed to pay with "credit card". They charged BOTH my credit and debit card. Funny thing is, they charged my debit card $167 and my credit card $83, when the bill was for $83. I got a feeling this was a scam so I made sure to keep all the receipts. The guy who did this is Leonardo Martinez. Buyer beware: Dollar Rental Car by Airport in Puerto Vallarta scams tourists! My question is anybody else get this particular scam? Thanks!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar Rental Car by Puerto Vallarta Airport Ripoff

Many people get this at the airport rental places, that's why I always recommend Gecko Car Rental, they don't have a desk at the airport but will meet you there.

http://www.geckorentcar.com/

run by a gringo and totally honest.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar Rental Car by Puerto Vallarta Airport Ripoff

DOLLAR RENT CAR IN PUERTO VALLARTA IS A SCAM!!

Never Rent There!! They Will charge your credit card with false damage! They charged $600 for cleaning, oil change, and body damage that never happened. IT'S PLAIN ROBBERY!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar Rental Car by Puerto Vallarta Airport Ripoff

Whats with all these "car rental scam" postings by brand new members?

Gig Harbor...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar Rental Car by Puerto Vallarta Airport Ripoff

The plot thickens: So I fought this ripoff through my credit card company and complained to Dollar USA. Of course the customer relations people at the corporate office failed to followup on my complaint (why would they care, as long as they are making money), but now the case has now taken an unexpected turn. Dollar Puerto Vallarta created an entire fake contract with my forged signature. The fake has mostly hand written in amounts and ironically is signed by "Angel". Per this fake contract, they had me renting a more expensive vehicle with loaded insurance (which I didn't get), over a different date period. Only problem is I kept every single receipt they gave me along with the original contract, which makes spotting the fake easy. The game is now up because the fraud investigators at my CC company are in pursuit of the villains.

How they did it: I originally errantly handed them my debit card, which was a mistake (never do that), and they ran the card, but then told me they couldn't use a debit card and needed a credit card. They kept the debit number and built a fraudulent invoice the following day. Leonardo Martinez's name is not on the fake contract, but I'm sure he and who ever else run this office are in on the scam. I'll eventually follow up with Dollar USA just to let them know their foreign franchisees are crooks.

Gig Harbor...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollar Rental Car by Puerto Vallarta Airport Ripoff

Why do you care? Is it okay with you if new members join this forum? I find your interest and question weird.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollar Rental Car by Puerto Vallarta Airport Ripoff

>>Why do you care? Is it okay with you if new members join this forum? I find your interest and question weird.<<

I just find it suspicious that in the past day, several people with new accounts and who have never posted on on the forums, decide at the same time to complain about their car rental experiences. It's not unusual for a competitor to post negative reviews and then someone else magically chimes in with a recommendation for their business

Gig Harbor...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollar Rental Car by Puerto Vallarta Airport Ripoff

I can't speak to your suspicions. I can only tell you the reason I joined Trip Advisor was to warn fellow travelers about PV DOLLAR RENTAL CAR because they (rather clumsily) attempted to rip me off $163. I personally get a little angry when people try to rip me off. As to your suspicions: the other possibility is there ACTUALLY IS a surge of car scams and Trip Advisor posts are a barometer of this surge. Just saying.

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollar Rental Car by Puerto Vallarta Airport Ripoff

yes! my sister got back from there last night and they are trying to charge her credit card $2300, ( bill was $78.) for an OLD scratch that had been sanded and painted over!!! what can she do about this!??

PLEASE let me know, they need to stop and be help accountable. not fair while they sit down there rich of our money laughing at us all. PLEASE send advice!!!!!

thank you,

Yvette

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollar Rental Car by Puerto Vallarta Airport Ripoff

YES!! Please help... my sister is being scammed for an OLD scratch that was already there and sanded over! she didnt do it and they were having an argument with another customer about an over charge!

Her $78. car rental is now costing $2300. for something that was obviously old!

HELP!!! how can they get away with this!!!!!!!!???

Any advice at all would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Yvette

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Dollar Rental Car by Puerto Vallarta Airport Ripoff

YES!! me too!! thats a very strange thought process!! hahaha

ya huh!