We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bistro Balsamar in Zona Romantica

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bistro Balsamar in Zona Romantica

On a recent February visit, we had several enjoyable and delicious dinners at Bistro Balsamar in the Zona Romantica of Puerto Vallarta. The restaurant has an indoor/outdoor setting which is perfect for the climate in PV. The restaurant's kitchen is located at the entrance so you can watch Chef Alejandro prepare many of his specialties. The seafood, beef, pasta, and regional dishes were outstanding. The seafood was so fresh with some lovely sauces. The beef was better quality than I am getting in Buenos Aires. My friends had the pasta and regional cuisines and were very pleased with the quality and flavor.

If you are visiting the restaurant on Fridays then be sure to make a reservation since many of the entrees are discounted so the restaurant gets quite busy.

My compliments to Chef Alejandro and his staff for such lovely evening and excellent cuisine.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
697 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bistro Balsamar in Zona Romantica

One of our favorites as well! Their calamari is fantastic!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
726 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bistro Balsamar in Zona Romantica

We did not enjoy Bistro Balsamar at all! This was a year ago. Since it had been highly recommended, we headed to this place on our last day there with some friends. The service was lousy to begin with and the food was not good at all. I had the spinach salad as the starter and it did not even taste like spinach. My main was the mole chicken which I could not finish as it was just not tasty. My friend had steak and it was just so so. Definitely would not recommend this restaurant.

puerto vallarta
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bistro Balsamar in Zona Romantica

I agree Shely... The food was very plain and the service was not up to par with any other restaurants in the neighborhood. We live nearby and would frequent the restaurant if we'd had a better experience.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bistro Balsamar in Zona Romantica

I was staying just steps away at Posada de Roger, didn't go in because one of the waiters at Margharita grill had become a good buddy. Plus their parrot pooped on me and it bounced and hit someone else (my pal's wife. . . )

Gotta love it!

There are so many great places to eat in just a 2 block section of Basillo Badillo that one eventually goes back to a "comfort place".

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bistro Balsamar in Zona Romantica

Where is it?

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,926 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bistro Balsamar in Zona Romantica

Claymore,

Ya gotta love the PV birds. I took my daughter-in-law and grandson to breakfast one year and a bird christened her. :)

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bistro Balsamar in Zona Romantica

"Where is it?"

Basilio Badillo 223

http://www.bistrobalsamar.com/

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bistro Balsamar in Zona Romantica

Missed the edit to add:

In the former Asaderos ("all-you-can-eat-meat" place) location, almost directly across the street from El Mole de Jovita.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bistro Balsamar in Zona Romantica

I will give Bistro Balsamar another try. I went with DH and a couple of friends. DH didn't ike his steak, but we had eaten at Teatro Limon the night before. One friend said his Chile en Nogada was the worst version he had ever eaten. He raved about the way Red Cabbage prepares it. I liked my lasagna, but prefer the seafood lasagna at La Playita. Very similar sauce, but works better with seafood. There are too many excellent places to eat and we all have our faves.

Why would I return? The friend who had tortilla soup and a couple of appetizers raved about her food! The two bites she shared were certainly tasty. It's a cute place and the service was lovely.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bistro Balsamar in Zona Romantica

Interesting the various comments. It's one of those restaurants that has been under many different names and ownerships in the time I've been hanging around the neighborhood.

suze