We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location- buenaventura vs san marino

Sartell minnesota
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Location- buenaventura vs san marino

Hi, we stayed at the los arcos 5 years ago and loved the location and are planning on going back to vallarta within the year. My mom wants to go back to the old town badly, she is having a hard time considering anything in the hotel zone. We are all adults by the way and enjoy going out for drinks and dinner. While I loved the old town I was wondering if the Buenaventura is close enough to the old town to enjoy that feel without a cab ride. So the actual question is: Would the benefits of the buenaventura outweigh the location of san marino and los arcos? And does the buenaventura offer a fair amount of walking options for drinks and dinner. Thanks!

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location- buenaventura vs san marino

we have stayed at both bv andpla. we prefer pla for its beach/ocean and location.

bv is located close to town. you can walk to the southside from it(20 min) but i dislike the beach/ocean there.

there are restaurants/taco stands around bv----el barracuda is highly recommended.

i'm likeyour mom--partial to the southside----bv does have a bigger pool area.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Location- buenaventura vs san marino

I've been to both BV and San Marino. Both have pluses and minuses, but the Buenaventura I think is the nicer hotel. It's literally right on the edge of el centro and you're a stone's throw to the south side of the river by walking the Malecon extension. It's about as close as you get to the south side without being on the south side (with the exception of perhaps the Hotel Rosita).

San Marino has location, but Buenaventura has the better rooms and amenities. BV did a big renovation in 2009; I think SM has done a bunch of soft renos in recent years, and I know they have added a second small pool in front of the oceanfront tower.

SM hasn't got quite as much beach area as it used to between last summer's storms and the new gigantic pier in front of it (which I suspect also might hamper some of the ocean views from those rooms). It does have more immediate walkable dining, but BV isn't a slouch in this area - SM just has more closer at hand.

I'd consider BV the higher quality hotel of the two.

Mentioned in this post
Malecon
Malecon
567 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Rosita Hotel
Rosita Hotel
373 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location- buenaventura vs san marino

I've never stayed there but have stopped into the lobby and looked around at Buenaventura and liked it fine. For me personally that is as far as I would go north, and be happy. Even though I'm dedicated to staying south-of-the-river so far, I would try Hotel Rosita, el Pescador, or Buenaventura/Villa Premiere for location and be OK with that.

Both Buenaventura and Playa Los Arcos are 'nicer' hotels than San Marino.

suze

Mentioned in this post
Rosita Hotel
Rosita Hotel
373 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Kennewick...
Level Contributor
252 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location- buenaventura vs san marino

I've stayed at Villa Premier, Los Arcos, (twice including this year), and Tropicana, (also old town). I agree old town has much to offer. Villa Premier is next door to Buenavenura and it's near a fair # of good eating places and hop a bus to old town if you don't want to taxi. That said I'd still choose old town, walk out the door and everything is at your fingertips.

Mentioned in this post
Los Arcos
Los Arcos
771 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location- buenaventura vs san marino

As others have said, the Buenaventura is much nicer. I do not like the San Marino at all. It would have to be super super deal before I would stay there. And if you are doing AI at either, the Buenaventura wins hands down. If you`re not doing AI, then the San Marino may be OK if you plan on spending zero time there.

Buenaventura would be my pick.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location- buenaventura vs san marino

If you decide to go with Los Muertos, I'd put The Tropicana on your list (over PLA or San Marino either one).

Mentioned in this post
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,609 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location- buenaventura vs san marino

I'd also have to agree that the Buenaventura is nicer than the San Marino for accommodations and service as well as all-inclusive if you are considering it. Across the street from the Buenaventura is the El Anderiego restaurant, El Baracudda is just steps away from the hotel right from the beach; for more 'local' flavors... on your way into town there is a Polo Feliz, Salsa Mexicana and Rico Mac Taco; there's also a supermarket a few blocks down across the street.

http://www.elanderiego.com.mx

http://www.elbarracuda.com

Edited: 07 March 2013, 21:56
Mentioned in this post
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,609 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location- buenaventura vs san marino

The Buenaventura also has a much bigger and less crowded beach...

Sartell minnesota
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Location- buenaventura vs san marino

Thank you everyone for taking the time to try and help! We always travel all inclusive even though we go out quit a bit, we like our drinks so we feel A.I. works great. Tough decisions, I think I am leaning BV, but it sure is nice as randic stated having everything right outside your door. I should have been more clear earlier also, we do not have any issues taking taxi but would prefer to not have to everytime we want to leave resort for drinks and dinner. Thanks again trip advisor you are all a great help!

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,609 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Location- buenaventura vs san marino

BV is def a better option if you are considering all-inclusive... much larger buffet with more food options for breakfast, lunch and dinner; ala carte lunch with salad bar by the beach and pool; and with a weeks stay 1 ala care dinner at the hotels Rodizio Argentinean Grill as well as 1 ala carte dinner next door at the Villa Premieres Murales Mexican gourmet restaurant... BV also has a lobby bar and outside pool/beach bar that is very popular and open late.