We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Puerto Vallarta-Need Help

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Puerto Vallarta-Need Help

This is our first time to Puerto Vallarta and we are bit lost of which area is nice and safe to stay at. It would be nice to stay at the beach front and be not too far from town.

We are looking at doing an all inclusive package using either bookit.com or pleaseholidays.com.

Any suggestions on the area?

If you have done an all inclusive, do you have any suggestion for which hotels?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Puerto Vallarta-Need Help

The All-Inclusives that are in or nearest downtown are:

Hotel Playa Los Arcos, San Marino, Buenaventura, Villa Premiere.

I don't stay AI myself but know these are the ones that are in/closest to the heart of the city.

suze

United States
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Puerto Vallarta-Need Help

We love Playa Los Arcos in old town-the romantic zone. You can do it AI, but I would choose not to because there are so many great restaurants within walking distance. We book directly with the hotel. Ask for Marguerita.

http://www.playalosarcos.com/?mobisite=false

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Puerto Vallarta-Need Help

Thank you Suze and 777Deana777.

I have heard from some people about the drug war. They remind me of that issue.

How safe is it for PV now?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,491 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to Puerto Vallarta-Need Help

I think it would help us more to know what you would like in a resort - what are your "wants/needs" in terms of amenities besides wanting to be on the beach.

All inclusive resorts in PV run a very wide gamut from budget AIs up to luxury AIs, and the quality of those resorts runs the same gamut. So I think it's helpful to know what you're thinking or what on those websites has already caught your eye, then we can give you background info.

Help us, help you. (-:

Edit: ignore the well meaning but completely clueless telling you that you are unsafe. PV is as safe a tourist locale as you can go to in Mexico, or many other tourism driven places in the world. If you are not a high risk traveler (ie: seeking out dangerous or high risk activity such as the drug culture) then you don't have anything to worry about. Generally I find people who "warn" you about such things have never actually traveled to the area they're warning against, or often not to the country at all.

Edited: 11 March 2013, 16:56
West Orange, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to Puerto Vallarta-Need Help

We have plenty of crime in the US... people spread bad rumors because they want to appear to be knowledgeable.

United States
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to Puerto Vallarta-Need Help

I agree with PVJB. Puerto Vallarta is safe. Just be aware of your surroundings like you do at home, and you will have no problem at all. I walk around in PV by myself all the time but usually go where tourists are. I don't walk in the dark- late at night on a side street, in an unfamiliar area by myself. And, the same goes for home.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to Puerto Vallarta-Need Help

Thank you for the reassurance. When they told me, I was like, I haven't heard much about PV and the drug wars lately.

Aside from that, I was interested in a 3 or 4 star AIs. I have never stay at an AIs before so I don't know what kind of amenities that the property would have. That's why I'm a bit lost. When looking at those site, the pictures catches my attention because it seems to be so relaxing. My partner is a CPA and after the tax season, he would prefer something relaxing. I would like that too and at the same time, maybe some activities during the day. I don't know if there is much sightseeing in PV. I heard that the sands can be rough and not powder.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,491 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time to Puerto Vallarta-Need Help

Beaches are typical Pacific Coast beaches (you're from the west coast so you understand this).

I understand that the pictures look relaxing, but what I meant was are there any resorts you've looked at on those websites that have caught your eye or your attention? Again, there are dozens upon dozens of AIs all around the bay...we could recommend one place and you are really looking for something else. We're strangers, we don't know your travel tastes. Having some background helps.

If it helps, start by telling us what your budget is for this trip...how long are you going for and how much are you wanting to spend?

Star ratings don't help much, because there is no consistency between the 3 countries in North America I have found. What Mexico considers a 3 star hotel is something that would probably be ranked 2 star here (or in some cases a 1.5 star). So budget and what you plan to do on your trip will be very helpful.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time to Puerto Vallarta-Need Help

having checked you previous posts you might want to concentrate on the south end of the Southside. Tropicana & Blue Seas area.

I would never do AI in PV there are just so many places to eat & drink from VERY inexpensive to O.M.G

($1 beers/Margs-8P tacos)

We walk everywhere in PV at all times of night & never felt unsafe,some of the best places to eat/drink are hole in the wall joints up side streets.

Like anywhere though you have to use SOME common sense.

Having said that you have been to places I would never go!!!!

Relax have fun & enjoy.

United States
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time to Puerto Vallarta-Need Help

So much sightseeing to do....your socks will fall off!

Zoo, botanical gardens, ziplines, walk the town, walk the Malecon, day trips to Sayulita, Bucerias, San Sebastián, Talpa, Mascota, Yelapa, Las Animas, Quimixto, Mahuitas, Boca de Tomatlan, Mismaloya, excursions with Valarta Adventures such as Rhythms of the Night," water sports, beach activity, the sunsets are to die for, parasailing, the new pier, sampling all the great restaurants, shopping galore, Guadalupe Cathedral, .......just off the top of my head. So much more! Oh! Great people watching too!