We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healthy eating in Mexico

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Healthy eating in Mexico

The final countdown is on...I leave for 24 days in sunny Mexico this Sunday! I'll be dividing my time between Playa del Carmen, Isla Mujeres and Puerto Vallarta.

Question, I'm not going to count calories when on my trip but would also love if I didnt come back 10 pounds heavier. Any tips on healthy meals to be on the lookout for? I tend to just order what I recognize which unfortunately does not neccessarily equate with healthy.

What are your favorite fresh healthy meals?

I should also probably mention I mostly eat vegitarian. Seafood is fine-in fact I love it!

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Healthy eating in Mexico

It's really easy to eat healthy in Puerto Vallarta. For breakfast I usually have fresh fruit plate or some eggs in a restaurant. You can make yourself a sandwich real cheap for lunch from the grocery with a roll, avocado, tomato, cukes, cheese, etc. Or in a restaurant or beach bar have a shrimp cocktail. Or stop by Mikey's Deli at Los Mercados and get a salad to go, they are wonderful and he usually offers chef salad, ceasar salad, wild greens and goat cheese, etc. For dinner most restaurants offers "catch of the day" or similar which is a fillet of fish often pan sauteed with garlic, and a side of white rice and steamed vegetables. Or grilled shrimp.

suze

Mentioned in this post
Los Mercados
Los Mercados
43 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Healthy eating in Mexico

Mariscos Polo's on the south side, F. Madero #376, has the very best seafood and for pure vegetarian, Planet Vegetariano, Inturbe # 270, downtown.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Healthy eating in Mexico

It is in fact far easier to eat healthy in Mexico than it is NOTB. Very few food additives, almost everything is made fresh, and there are more fresh fruits/veggies and seafood.

Take advantage of the abundance of produce is a good start. Salsa Mexicana (aka pico de gallo) is amazingly healthy, and fat free. Eat it on as many things as you can. Fresh fish done simply - grilled with garlic and a bit of oil or butter with veggies is a staple on most menus.

Lots of chicken dishes too, and fresh pork.

The one sure fire way to keep the weight off in PV...walk. It is an immensely walkable city, with lots of walking challenges to increase cardio - hills, stairs, you name it.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,560 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Healthy eating in Mexico

Julia J ... I'll second JRinPV's recommendation (in post #2) of Planeta Vegetariano (it's downtown, at Iturbide 270, just a few steps up from Hidalgo, a block+ north of the church).

Mexican-style & flavour vegetarian dishes, served via an all-you-can-eat buffet -- for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, 7-days/week. It's a small, colourful little place, with very well-prepared fare, and inexpensively-priced. We have been going there for a good many years .... and especially enjoy breakfast (with the fresh fruits, yogurt, oat hotcakes, frijoles ('the' best), nopales (a cactus dish), tofu dishes, chilaquiles, fresh juices, and the like.

And we too, like fish and seafoods, but for me, especially when they are simply-prepared (like PVJenny has indicated in post #3). I like to taste the flavours of the fish, shrimp, and etc., I'm not particularly interested in their flavours being covered over by sauces. And the same goes with chicken.

Good luck with your "healthy eating" ....

Edited: 12 March 2013, 21:46
Mentioned in this post
Planeta Vegetariano
Planeta Vegetariano
319 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Healthy eating in Mexico

<Lots of chicken dishes too, and fresh pork.>

But Julia says she eats mostly vegetarian with a little seafood, is the recommendations she is asking for.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,855 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Healthy eating in Mexico

You can find something healthy in every restaurant and almost everyone offers fish fixed in different styles. I agree it's easy to eat healthy in PV.

Salud on Olas Atlas prides itself on fresh and healthy offerings and we liked our lunch wraps. You can add meat if you want or not at all. It is open for breakfast and lunch.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150793-d2…

We had lunch at Mi Cafe today and I had a salad that was huge and and colorful. Couldn't eat the entire salad. Fruits, veggies, and mixed greens....it is very very good (fresh sliced strawberries in it too). It is located on Madero at approx. 525.

Mentioned in this post
Mi Cafe
Mi Cafe
167 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,951 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Healthy eating in Mexico

Anything that is advertised as "a la parilla", is grilled. Another low-cal option is Veracruz style, usually fish. It is often steamed in foil packets with vegetables around it. Little or no fat. Fajitas are also a good option widely available. . You can pick and choose amongst lots of veggies, and the beef, chicken or fish is plainly prepared.

In Vallarta, Sirloin Stockade has the most wonderful selection of low-cal foods (also high cal) as part of their buffet.. A terrific salad bar, clear soups. Simple fish. On Fridays they have two kinds of salmon: ginger and lemon pepper. Hacienda Alemana has 3 buffet-style meals per week with a nice salad bar.

In a nutshell, just avoid large quantities of campesino (farm worker) foods such as chilaquiles, enchiladas, refried beans and rice, tacos, burritos unless you intend to work them off with appropriate exercise. They were meant to fill people up at low cost. Mexico has one of the highest rates of obesity in the world even though most of the people are manual labourers.

And, of course, remember that many tropical cocktails are very high in calories.

Edited: 12 March 2013, 22:17
Mentioned in this post
Sirloin Stockade
Sirloin Stockade
116 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Healthy eating in Mexico

Thanks to all of you for the help!

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Healthy eating in Mexico

I agree with Jen its so nice to have fresh fruit n veggies.Love the chicken..

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Healthy eating in Mexico

Just a question to those in the know, but don't they cook with alot of oil? I found that most times anywhere in Mexico it seems things were quite oily, so sometimes when I got grilled things started asking for no or very little oil. Might help bring down the calories.