We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a friendly reminder

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Topic
a friendly reminder

Please take note

during the holidays Mexican Military presence is quite prevalent. Do not be alarmed

they are there, just doing there job as always, Making everyone have a safe trip

you will see heavily armed soldiers and Marines alike

wave to them, they will appreciate your acknowledgment

Bruce

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
685 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a friendly reminder

Thank you for that Reminder. :O)

We were in PV over the Mexican Independence Holiday one year. Every Military Person we saw had a smile. The Kids loved them and alot were happy to pose for appropriate pictures. My Son thought of them as "Army Men"

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a friendly reminder

Thank you for the post! I would have wondered!

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a friendly reminder

Last march a truckload of armed soldatos went past, we waved and most waved back, the rest saluted! Good guys doing a job I would not thank you for.

Pacific Latitiude...
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a friendly reminder

and beware that the reason they are here is because the holidays attracts an undesirable element to our fine city. Take extra care in protecting your money and smartphone.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: a friendly reminder

As you should always be careful with your money and smartphone, but...

specifics? Grab and runs? Pickpockets? On the bus? On the beach? On the Malecon? I know you are not trying to be an alarmist, but you can't just leave that hanging out there without some more information.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,209 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: a friendly reminder

Generally Easter tends to attract pickpockets. They are just looking for opportunities, not confrontations, and take advantage of the large increase in crowds. I think it would be hard to pinpoint exact areas other than to note it's more likely to happen in areas that attract crowds, same as at home.

Local friends have told me how expensive smartphones are in Mexico, so definitely keep those close at hand as they would definitely be a target (you should do that at home too anyways, same with protecting your $$).

You should always be mindful of your own safety (personal responsibility is always numero uno), it's just important to remain diligent during busier holiday periods.

Edited: 20 March 2013, 17:50
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a friendly reminder

True unfortunately at holiday times a less desirable national tourist comes to town, though not really tourists, they are more like on a working vacation.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a friendly reminder

The other thing is to be extra careful about leaving ATM machines and banks. Look around you to make sure nobody is watching to see how much cash you took out. (I know you should always do this but particularly during Semana Santa).

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: a friendly reminder

Thanks, I appreciate it. Really. Having recently been in Paris and Barcelona - pickpocket central, I am pretty versed in being careful. But, honestly, hadn't thought about it in terms of our trip to PV.

North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a friendly reminder

Be as careful as you would at home and all will be fine.

Michael