We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Tide?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Red Tide?

There's been talk on Facebook about a Red Tide currently happening in the bay. Does anyone have any information about where it's happening and what it affects?

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Tide?

Red tide at night sailors delight Lol

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Tide?

Red tide is an alge bloom. If it is really bad the fish usually leave the area as it depletes the oxygen in the water. If it is strong enough it can kill some of the fish and you can smell it in the water.

A warning was just issued in PV that the local oysters contain toxins due to the current red tide. Restaurants serving them have purchased them from other areas.

Red tide comes and goes and varies in duration. Not to worry they are rarely present for more than a few days.

We get them in So Cal. too.

Edited: 31 March 2013, 06:39
NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Tide?

I was there a few weeks ago and saw the red tide. It wasn't there every single day, but it was there quite a bit. In fact, when we arrived to restaurant Ocean Grill, the water was clear and I was looking forward to a swim....As we ate, we saw the red come in and that was it for the swimming. As my plane took off, I could see over the bay pools of the red tide.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Tide?

Good one Yaz. My husband does the "old version" of red skies. I got the humor though.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Tide?

Red tide will come and go So Cal is correct it is an algae bloom, however it only affects shell fish crab,shrimp,oysters ect doesn't affect fish. If eaten when red tide is happening can become very sick and may be fatal. We get Red Tide here on the West coast as well. Again comes and goes.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Tide?

"A warning was just issued in PV that the local oysters contain toxins due to the current red tide. Restaurants serving them have purchased them from other areas."per katnsocal

Yes this is a warning for real so personally I would not go near any oysters, whether they say they are getting from elsewhere or not...just skip them for a bit...for that matter skip the shellfish for a little while...better to be safe than sorry...

The ocean is very big as we all know so I think red tide can be just about anywhere, used to get on East coast as well in US...

Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Tide?

Thanks for all the information; love this forum. I'm wondering if red tide occurs more often in the Spring. We've visited PV in November many times and I don't recall any warnings. Will be there April 19 - 28th and am hoping red tide won't be an issue.

8. Re: Red Tide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 05:15