We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta resort for a 9y.o.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta resort for a 9y.o.

I will be traveling to PV this summer with my mom and my nine year old. I want a resort that has great amenities for kids (he loves sports, rock climbing, swimming, and video games). I heard that Melia, Now Amber, or Dreams were all great choices. I definitely want an All inclusive, but want my son to have the best time possible. Any suggestions?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta resort for a 9y.o.

Well the Dreams PV (best beach in the PV proper area, just south of town), the Now (newwest, most modern property) or the Dreams Villamagna (nuevo) are all owned by AMResorts and they have great kids clubs (some of the best IMO). The Riu Jalisco and Riu Vallarta have great kids clubs as well and are on great, long walkable beaches in nuevo. If you stay at the Riu Vallarta, you have full access to the Riu Jalisco and there will be lots of kids at both for your daughter. The Grand Marival in nuevo is also on the same beach and has a wonderful kids club too. The bonus here is you can get a one or two bedroom suite if you want more room for everyone.

I would stay at any of them, but Now is a little too modern for me. The pool at Dreams PV is also very small compared to the others.

Enjoy)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta resort for a 9y.o.

Thank you so much for your reply. I liked the Dream from what I saw but then read it was a smoking resort which I can't have since my mom is severely asthmatic. I like NOW Amber....what about the Hard Rock?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta resort for a 9y.o.

To be quite honest, they are all smoking outside and we saw people smoking in the pool at Now and Dreams. Hard to get away from that outside anywhere.

The Hard Rock is in nuevo, but I have not stayed there and have only seen it when it was the Palace and really don't have much info since it switched. You could ask on the nuevo forum about info on that:)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,954 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta resort for a 9y.o.

Smoking is generally only in open areas, it's not in enclosed ones. (new laws) And rooms are listed on their website as being non-smoking.

You mentioned rock climbing, Dreams and Melia have that. But the beach at Dreams is better than at Melia, definitely.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,741 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta resort for a 9y.o.

If you are interested in spending much time in PV, then I wouldn't choose Nuevo since it's nearly 45 minutes from PV or 2 bus rides. You can take a cab instead, expect about $40 for round trip for the 3 of you.

I suggest including an afternoon at the Vallarta Zoo to go along with your son having as you say, "the best time possible", it will be very memorable for him and you. It's unique...you can feed almost all of the animals except the big cats, and he can hold baby tigers, lions, and a couple monkey's. He'll having bragging rights back home when his friend's see your pics of him feeding the Giraffe and other animals. Holding the baby tigers and lions depends on whether they have young ones at that time.

The zoo is 30 minutes tops travel time along the coast....south of Dreams PV. (Depending on your Mom's mobility....the zoo might not be good for her if she has any trouble with going up or down inclines.) if you do decide to go, we can tell you more about a trip to the zoo.

Edited: 01 April 2013, 16:20
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta resort for a 9y.o.

Haven't stayed at Now Amber but the best time I've ever seen 9-year boys have in PV was on the Pirate Ship (day tour ---- beach activities, pirate activities, food, music, etc. --- I went twice recently) and when we stayed at the Melia awhile back. We didn't have kids with us but everyone else's kids were having a great time in the largest pool in Puerto Vallarta.

As Kansas said, I'm sure he'd enjoy the zoo also. Both times we've been, there were very few people (and very few kids) so I never got to see kids relating to the animals but if he likes to be "up close and personal" with animals, he'll love it. Very interactive.

Have fun.

Edit to mention that both times we've taken the bus to the zoo (an adventure unto itself), it's taken us well over an hour to get there from the Hotel Zone, due to wait time for two buses and then the walk through the village. Taxi is much faster.

Edited: 01 April 2013, 16:30
Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,346 posts
513 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta resort for a 9y.o.

The Melia has so many things for kids and adults...Def, a kid oriented resort and will most likely be packed with kids in summer...The beach is not so great there, but the pol is great and even is a walk in like the beach so cool.

Velas Vallarta has lots of activities, beautiful grounds, and pools , spacious rooms, and an incredible activities staff so they might be added to your list as well. Plus mom I am sure would like it there. I have been there in the summer and yes there are kids, and many nationals like Melia but not at least it seems as many as Melia.

Hard Rock Vallarta is a nice resort in a nice area but far from PV, like

at least half hour by car maybe more.

The last visit I had there I might add the music was a big deterrent, way way too loud, so your mother may not like that, we are music lovers and this was way too much..

I am staying at Dreams for a week in July then a week at Casa Velas but no kids with us just me and hubby. My kids always loved Velas Vallarta, we just got back from there and had 3 generations, me, my son and his son, was so cool..

BC
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta resort for a 9y.o.

We stayed at the Melia when my youngest was nine and we loved it. At the time the Melia had the biggest pool in PV (not sure now). My kids didn't go to the kids club so I can not comment on it. Our room had two almost double beds and a set of bunk beds which was perfect for our family of five.

There is archery and rifle shooting but I believe your son will be too young. The entertainment staff was great and included my kids in everything. While we were there a group of adults got pretty drunk and loud and swearing a lot, etc and as soon as I said something management jumped on it, which I really appreciated.

we are thinking about going back to Melia our only concern is that the resort might be too young for our oldest who will be 19 by the time we go again.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta resort for a 9y.o.

Ooo tell me more about Velas please? Thank you so much for your reply!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta resort for a 9y.o.

So all throughout PV resorts there will be smoking? Uh oh....mom will not like that at all.