We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit cards

Kamloops
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Credit cards

Which major credit card is most widely accepted in Mexico and PV in general, Visa or Mastercard? I've never used a credit card in Mexico but am thinking that with the atm skimming becoming more predominant it might be a good idea to take along 3 or 4 pre-loaded credit cards, but which one. The reason for multiple cards is if one is compromised it can be canceled and I'll still have access to money, this is to supplement pesos that I'll also have.

PORTLAND, OR
Level Contributor
212 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit cards

We used both types a couple weeks ago with no problems. I think pretty much any place that takes cards will take either, but some places don't accept them at all so a good idea to always have pesos available too.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit cards

I wouldn't agree that atm skimming is becoming more predominant, rather an extensive thread about one ATM machine which affected a bunch of people in February. There are hundreds of machines that were not effected at all. Credit cards are not 'widely' accepted here, due to the high merchant fees and slow payment, so many places that do accept Credit Cards will give a discount for cash.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit cards

We used our Visa at the more mainstream restaurants and in the more established shops, but we didn't depend on credit cards at all. We took a lot of pesos with us and used the credit card when we could, just to save the pesos for other places. You can have a credit card compromised in a restaurant too, but it hasn't happened to us. Some restaurants have the hand held card machine that they can bring to your table.

I wouldn't be afraid of the ATM's and would use them....but husband doesn't use ATM's anywhere for a lot of reasons....so we don't.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 16:17
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit cards

We used both Mastercard and Visas all over for meals and some more major purchases, not at small stores, but there was no problem.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,682 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit cards

I never use credit cards in Mexico, other than sometimes to pay the hotel bill. Also as noted some restaurants do not accept any cards, only cash. It usually says this on the menu and/or is posted at the cashier.

suze

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,045 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit cards

I always use CC and ATM worldwide. I don't know why some folks imagine there would be a greater risk in Mexico than at home. Regardless, credit cards/ATM cards have or can be set up to have fraud protection. Therefore no risk. Just understand JR's comments about discounts or vendors that don't accept CC's.

Kamloops
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit cards

Thanks for the info, we try to use pesos as much as possible but there are times when we want to buy something and we don't have enough pesos on hand. Does anyone have experience with pre-paid debit cards, how have they worked at the various atm's? I have used atm's for ever, but am getting so that I don't trust them anymore anywhere with my regular debit card after being stung a few times.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,473 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit cards

Many places in PV that do accept credit cards will add a fee onto the purchase to cover both their higher fees and the lengthy delays that most merchants have to put up with from VISA and MC on payments (sometimes up to 120 days). You will find that lots of places will "discount" for cash payments for this reason.

I wouldn't rely on a credit card as my primary means of getting by in Vallarta. Cash is king, and nobody refuses pesos. (-;

As far as how pre-paid credit cards work, you should speak to the merchant you are thinking of getting one from. Some work outside Canada, but many don't (even some of the bank ones). If you're considering this just for larger purchases you really are almost better off using your real credit card and ensuring you have the proper fraud protections on it.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 16:58
Westport, Washington
Level Contributor
207 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit cards

be careful with preloaded cards, many do not offer protection that non prepay cards do

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,473 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit cards

↑ - also very true! With pre-paid cards you aren't risk free - you just run a different risk than with your regular card...that being if something happens you're generally S.O.L. for getting anything reimbursed.