We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Illness at Costa Sur??

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Illness at Costa Sur??

We are staying here currently in tower 2 for a wedding. Between 4 of us who came into town together, each has had a horrible 24 hour bug, each at a different time. Symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea...all the fun stuff. Really just horrible. We have not been drinking the water and have had no common foods that we can pin down.

The wedding was yesterday and another couple also staying in tower 2 mentioned that they had both had the same thing. Apparently they were also approached by someone in the elevators who asked them if they had been sick, they answered yes and were told by the person asking that 15 out of 17 (may have been 14 out of 16) in their group had all had the same thing! Severe illness for 24 hours. All staying in tower 2.

We have several friends in tower 1 and no one has been sick. I'm starting to become seriously concerned that there is something specific going around in tower 2 and not sure how to approach with management? I mentioned to someone out front this morning but merely in passing.

Worth mentioning, the smell in tower 2 is absolutely disgusting. I'm on my third week in Mexico so am well aware of the every once in a while passing of a sewer smell but this is constant and overwhelming. Our room was unbearable and we finally had to ask to be moved-which they did without issue-makes me wish I had requested earlier!

Anyways, I'm not really sure my point to posting this but felt for some reason I needed to put it out there. I absolutely love mexico and hate that for many people this illness will change their views on it. Also, an unfortunate end for my 3.5 wonderful weeks in paradise. :(

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,025 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Illness at Costa Sur??

Hi Julia,

I posted this on another thread not long ago so I'm copy/pasting here so I don't have to go through it again. My son stayed there March 14 - 24 and we stayed in town.

<< True, there were apparently people getting sick with a virus. No horror stories of hospitals etc. like Barcelo had since it wasn't showing up in the reviews.

This is funny but since I had heard about it and before my son arrived at CS (we weren't staying there), I followed a couple from CS off of the bus one day, just to see what they had to say, you could say I stalked them lol. They hadn't gotten sick, but knew of others who had, they said it seemed like a 24 hour thing.

So being a MOM.....when my son and his girlfriend arrived there on March 14, I took him Lysol, dish soap, hand sanitizer and stuff like that so he could re-wash his dishes, glasses, etc. and sanitize surfaces. LoL I showed them how to use their elbow on the elevator button. They only let the maid in their room a couple times in the 10 days. They did eat some meals in the restaurant and went to happy hour, swam and hung out downstairs. They didn't get sick. I imagine it will be past by June so I wouldn't worry about it. >>

Julia all I can tell you is that hey have had that smell from the septic for 23 years. We have never been sick there past our early years in PV.

I'm sorry to hear you got sick. It's a bummer on vacation for sure. I got sick one day while in PV a couple weeks ago. ( I didn't stay at CS) Mine was just diarrhea and everything was over after about 18 hours. I had eaten the same thing as everyone else that night. Nobody got it until we got home....then my dil and grandson had the symptoms....so I knew it was a virus. I hate it on vacation because I have to watch what I eat for a few days. Over a 3 or 4 day period I became an expert on good chicken entrees in PV.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,025 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Illness at Costa Sur??

edit ran out....

I was trying to add that I talked to Juan one day about it and he thought it was a 24 hour thing and that people were taking Treda for it. I really can't advise who to talk to, and Juan is just my old friend from out front.

Was just thinking that I should add that the septic smell ...and I assume you mean the south tower.....isn't always there. When I have smelled it in the past, it's about the 6th or 7th floor when using the stairs. I have never had it like you have in your room though ...yuck.

Heck maybe I got my virus from there, when I picked up my son and brought him the supplies.

Edited: 07 April 2013, 19:45
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Illness at Costa Sur??

Yup. South tower. Our room smelled HORRIBLE but I waited so long to ask to be moved. In my illness I convinced myself that the septic tank was backed up and we were ingesting germs because of it in the air.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,025 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Illness at Costa Sur??

I think it is possible that there isn't the water trap that is usually in drains at home in houses with septic tanks, and that's why some smell comes up through the shower drain.....or the trap is not working correctly. You smell it a lot in some restrooms around town too. We're on septic....that's how I know how they work...sorta.

If you've noticed, you always smell it driving past Dreams which is the same as that area next to the south tower. It is some kind of septic treatment something or other for each property. Look down from the walkway on the south tower and you'll see it....that's why I used to smell it around floor 6 or 7.

Well, I don't have the answer, just guesses based on our experience. I hope you feel better soon.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Illness at Costa Sur??

I believe all those properties are connected to the city's sewage system.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,970 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Illness at Costa Sur??

Been there done that, long time back but the place where I got the sickest was there....check way back on my reviews..and frankly the management could have given a hoot. Many others were sick as well...

Use extreme caution with Treda esp. with children, can cause hearing loss etc..., All I know is based on how the whole issue was handled and how we were treated despite needing medical care, I will not ever return to that resort. I was so happy to leave, and then went to one of my favorite resorts and looked so sick they offered to unpack for us...

A/C units were full of who knows..dripping, moldy, you name it..this was in a one bedroom , no clue what tower that is..

Anyway hope you get batter and no more illness prevails....

7. Re: Illness at Costa Sur??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 07:15