We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westjet flights from BC

BC
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Westjet flights from BC

We are doing some research for our Feb 2014 trip to PV and wondered if anyone had any insights about the eco, flex, and plus options for westjet. We have always flown westjet and see that this year there are a few options. Our search shows that there are no eco seats left and we need to purchase the flex or the plus which cost more. The past few years we have purchased 2 tickets with selected seats both ways for about $1400. Is the the flex the same as the previous regular seats? A bit confused. I thought some others may be able to shed some light on the changes.......

Any other airline suggestions would be appreciated as well. We will fly from Kelowna. We do prefer direct flights but would be open so some change.

Cheers,

Toronto
Level Contributor
142 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westjet flights from BC

Flex is an option where you are permitted to make a change to your booking by paying a small fee and the difference in fare if it is higher. This gives you some flexibility especially when booking much in advance. Regular seats are Eco (economy) and lowest in fare as they are confirmed and do not permit any changes. $1400 for 2 return tickets is a fantastic fare - are flex too much more? Try Air Canada and remember fares will go up from here on, so make a quick decision if you find a fairly good fare. Also, if you read earlier posts, you will find traveling with US airlines will give you the best deal, one poster got a deal for around $500 each, but you will need to go through US customs and also wait for connections. I hope this was useful.

Edited: 09 April 2013, 14:02
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westjet flights from BC

Eco actually lets you make an itinerary change or name change for a fee of $75 - 85 plus difference in fare., flex lets you make an itinerary or name change for $50-57 plus difference in fare and seat selection in exit rows as well (both have fees for seat selection). Plus lets you make changes for free plus the difference in fare and free seat selection in all rows inc. the first 3.

The cancellation fees are the same as above, but for eco and flex the remainder will be in a travel credit and for plus it will be refunded to your credit card.

Edited: 09 April 2013, 15:04
BC
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westjet flights from BC

We usually book our flight by July each year to get the best deals. The Westjest site says that there are no eco seats available. There is quite a difference in cost between the flex and plus. With the flex for 2 people with seat selection is around $1600. right now. The plus will be about $180. more.

If the flex includes the cancellation or change fees then it may be worth it. I did read the drop down menu but didnt make sense.......thanks for the clarification.

Toronto
Level Contributor
142 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westjet flights from BC

Sunfun, $800/person return direct flight is not bad. The fare from Toronto right now for a direct flight is $912, which was lower just a couple of weeks ago. When we booked in August last year for December travel, the fare was $1100 with a charter, but that was during the holidays of course. In my opinion, what you are getting is a good deal and prices will definitely go up as others have mentioned on TA previously. Just saying.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,746 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westjet flights from BC

Go to their Facebook page. They have explained the change over and over again there.

The ECONO are their OLD Sale Price.. .Flex are Reg. prices, as seats sell they go UP.

Plus is get more luggage allowance.plus seat selection,early boarding etc.

There may be a Sale.. then the Econo will Show.. depends on flights and how full etc.etc.

I just booked a Seal sale for June. it was for Southern flights.. yet Lots didn't have an Econo price.. depended on the day of weeks I guess. or if the flights were getting full.

Also WJet has reduced the Carry ON , One only and One personal item...

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,746 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westjet flights from BC

Oh.. WestJet show with TAXES included.. the Old Sunwing ADD on taxes to the tune of $340.$350 More... UGH.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westjet flights from BC

They may still open up some flights, I typically don't buy MEX-bound flights more than 6 months out. I booked ours end of December for departure on April 17th, got direct from YVR to PV for CND1241 (2pax, tax incl). More or less the same I paid last year.

BC
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westjet flights from BC

I will check their FB page. Thank you all for your iresponse.....cheers!

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,746 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westjet flights from BC

Agree buzz101.. Last time I booked 6months out.. then WestJet had a SALE (Thurs.Blue Bag Sale) two months out for $50.00 less each. grr.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westjet flights from BC

I booked for October on April 4th, checked the flights on April 11th and the same flights were $40 cheaper. OH, well. . .

A friend booked using airmiles on around April 6th for about 3,900 airmiles return. I checked on April 11th and it was 5250 airmiles.

Up and down like a Yo-Yo.