We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to get a authentic pina colada

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yonkers, NY
Level Contributor
500 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
place to get a authentic pina colada

I will be staying in the dreams in pv and would like to know where can i go and get a non-machine slushy authentic pina colada?Thanks in advance this will be my first time in this part of mx.I stay in the cancun side but the authentic feel of puerto made me book a trip.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: place to get a authentic pina colada

I don't know of any bar in Vallarta who uses a machine, most all drinks are made from scratch. For example Tequila Sunrises and Screwdrivers at Que?Pasa are made with fresh squeezed orange juice, none of the stuff in a packet.

Yonkers, NY
Level Contributor
500 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place to get a authentic pina colada

Thanks for the reply does the dreams in pv make it from scratch also.The resorts in cancun and playa both use the slushy machine pina coladas which is so bad.I use to get the original in punta cana and they too started using the machine which was a disappointment .I hope anybody who has been to dreams or marival residences in nuevo could let me know.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: place to get a authentic pina colada

Don't know about the resorts, just the local barrs/restaurants.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: place to get a authentic pina colada

Like JR said I don't recall ever seeing a slushy machine at any bars in PV, or at least the bars we go to. I suppose some of the more touristy spots along the Malecón might have them, but most all bars make drinks by hand.

We seldom have those type drinks, so I'm no help on where to find the best. Maybe Puerto Rico ~ LOL

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: place to get a authentic pina colada

You are staying at Dreams! You can get whatever you want! And actually, the machines are used to hold the pina colada they make in blenders and pour in to have for quicker drink making. It isn't a "mix" or anything like that. But, you can ask them to make it fresh, and then will. We stayed at Now Amber - sister resort - and the bar service was the best we have ever experienced. Lots of top shelf alcohol and very generous bartenders. I am sure that Dreams is the same - and someone will confirm that.

And by the way, the best Pina Colada I ever had, was interestingly enough at the Buenaventura hotel. So.good.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: place to get a authentic pina colada

I hate those slushy machines and the pina Coladas with Appletons rum I had at Dreams PV came from a blender.

You just have to ask them to make it in a blender. :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: place to get a authentic pina colada

as others mentioned as far as around town, i've never seen the slushy machines. i only know of them from reading forums and people who visit "the other side" of mexico.

suze

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,980 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: place to get a authentic pina colada

Haven't been to Dreams in an age but if you go north toward town a little, stop at La Playita (in the Lindo Mar) ---- especially during Happy Hours for an hour starting at noon and an hour starting at 5pm (they ring the bell for those Happy Hours) and they will make you a PERFECT Pina Colada, to your tastes. Their bartenders are the very best! None of that bad stuff you mention.

Welcome to the Pacific side.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 18:20
Yonkers, NY
Level Contributor
500 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: place to get a authentic pina colada

Thank you very much is la playita walking distance to dreams resorts?

new york
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: place to get a authentic pina colada

It is within walking distance but you'd be walking on a highway and there's no shoulder for a stretch if it. You could take the bus for one stop which would be much safer or a taxi. The taxi would cost 40-50 pesos each way. The bus is 6 and 1/2 pesos each way.

Try a piña colada at Dreams first. Ask them for what you want. You should be happy there.