We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PV: Secrets or Dreams for Solo Female BD?

San Francisco...
6 posts
Save Topic
PV: Secrets or Dreams for Solo Female BD?

Hi all,

My birthday is Cinqo de Mayo and I'm thinking about taking a spontaneous solo vacation to PV. I travel quite frequently alone so it's not a new experience for me but I haven't been to Mexico in years.

I want to find a hotel that will have other solo travelers, not just families and couples. Not really a spring break destination but I definitely want to party a little.

These are my "requirements"

-pool with bar

-Internet access

-Romantic zone

-Four star or higher

-Excellent food

So far, it seems like Secrets or Dreams are my best bets. I'd love any feedback! I did stay at a five star resort last year in SE Asia, and while it was stunning it turned out to be a honeymoon destination and I was the only solo traveler at the entire resort! I don't want to repeat that experience!

Thanks in advance

new york
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PV: Secrets or Dreams for Solo Female BD?

I would choose Dreams PV. I have seen quite a few solo travelers at Dreams during my visits. The food is very good and you're a short taxi or bus ride away from the Romantic zone. Plus the beach is way better at Dreams.

I wouldn't choose Secrets because it will be mainly couples there. You could choose the Now side of the complex. Your chances of meeting other solo travelers will be higher.

San Francisco...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: PV: Secrets or Dreams for Solo Female BD?

thanks so much, I really appreciate it :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,165 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PV: Secrets or Dreams for Solo Female BD?

I wouldn't choose a resort at all, but rather a regular hotel on the south-side (Zona Romantica) or even a condo/apartment. I travel solo to PV often and always meet people, but it's out around town, at the bars and restaurants, on the beach, by the hotel pool. I've never done it so can't say from experience but I picture the "resorts" to be more isolated & couple and family oriented. Around town you'll definitely plenty plenty of people solo.

suze

San Francisco...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: PV: Secrets or Dreams for Solo Female BD?

do you have any specific hotel recommendations?

I do plan to spend most of my time poolside...so I do care about being comfortable

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PV: Secrets or Dreams for Solo Female BD?

I agree with suze. I am also a female who travels solo to PV. My first time here (I'm here right now! :)) I stayed at a hotel and it didn't really allow me to meet anyone. It was all couples and families. But since then I've always stayed at condos/apartments and have met so many great people at restaurants, bars, or just walking around town!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,359 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PV: Secrets or Dreams for Solo Female BD?

Lizzy B the problem is there aren't any 4 star hotels in the romantic zone.... here we usually refer to it as the south side....meaning it is south of the Rio Cuale just so you don't think we're talking about two different places. The closest 4 star is going to be Dreams PV which has everything on your list. It's about a 10 minute or less ride to town by bus or taxi.

Use the website at the bottom of my post to see where it's located...you can "move up" or " move down" on the top and bottom of these maps and they are all connected and run north to south. When you move up look for Secrets which will be above the downtown map.

You'll see other resorts on these maps. I have no idea whether these resorts have everything you're looking for but I'll just say....I've heard Buenaventura is a social place and it might suit you in terms of the meeting other people since as I understand the crowd is around your age. I don't know anything else about it accept that it is the sister resort of Villa Premiere... a higher rated resort which means you could stay there and go to Buenaventura also for social opportunities.....that would give you two resorts in one. :-) See what others have to say. They aren't that far from the south side.

Those are just some ideas, but most people really like Dreams.

vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

Edited: 15 April 2013, 20:19
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,203 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PV: Secrets or Dreams for Solo Female BD?

Kansas we're doing both Casa Isabel and Dreams based on the help we've received here. Is CI an option at all for a single girl? I know it's not a 4-star resort but for a boutique hotel it gets excellent ratings and seems to be located well.

San Francisco...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: PV: Secrets or Dreams for Solo Female BD?

I'm going to check them both out, thanks so much!!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,359 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PV: Secrets or Dreams for Solo Female BD?

Casa Isabel is such a dreamy place but the only problem I think with CI in this case...it's too small for what she says she is wanting. I have only visited, but if I was a solo traveler wanting to make friends where I'm staying....I might be concerned about getting a week where there weren't enough people or people who wanted to be alone. That would probably be my thinking as a solo traveler.

But, if you're interested in staying in the romantic zone but don't want to be alone in a condo and want somewhere really charming, beautiful and very nice where there are other people....Casa Isabel could be perfect.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,165 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PV: Secrets or Dreams for Solo Female BD?

Casa Isabel is quite isolated, way up on a hill overlooking town, and a bit of a hike down to the beach and restaurants and stuff. Again not where I'd send a single person myself. I'm sorry I don't have any specific recommendations LizzyB mostly because the places I stay are budget, no where near "4 stars" -lol).

You could check out someplace like the nicest room at Casa Dona Susana. It's a sister property of Playa Los Arcos so you get beach-front priviledges there. Dona Susana itself is a remodeled older Mexican style hotel (with a rocking rooftop pool) one block in from the beach. Excellent central location.

It's not on the southside/zona romantica but Villa Premiere is one of the nicer properties that is actually IN downtown PV. It's sister property with Buenaventura next door. So would have plenty of people around.

suze