We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can someone explain resort credits to me?

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Can someone explain resort credits to me?

I keep reading about resort credits at AI's, but since it's all inclusive, what would you need the credit for? The gift shop or a massage? One is offering a $1,500 USD credit, but I can't image using up that much on massages.

Thanks.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can someone explain resort credits to me?

The $1500 one sounds like the Palace or Hard Rock one and while I am always really annoyed how useless most resort credits are, the Pal./HR seem to be good for room upgrades, tours, massages, etc. $1500 is a lot to spend though. If you ask in the Nuevo Vallarta forum, you might have better luck as the owners at those two resorts are very knowledgeable how to best use them.

Good luck:)

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can someone explain resort credits to me?

Remember ... you have to pay tax (16%) on the resort credit dollars. So if you spend all of the credits, You will have to pay $240. If I remember ... you can only use $300 credit dollars on a massage.

Topeka, Kansas...
Level Contributor
170 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can someone explain resort credits to me?

and usually you are paying the full "retail" rate.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can someone explain resort credits to me?

This is a deal with the Moon Palace in Cancun a friend was considering. And the price was like 45% off for booking the fall this far ahead, plus the huge resort credit. I've stayed AI at the Vallarta Palace a number of times over the years, so they thought I would know something about it. But I never got a credit there, just a great deal.

Thanks, everyone.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can someone explain resort credits to me?

sounds like a rip off.. they tell you that you have a credit of a non negotiatjust my opinion !!

ed currency but you pay a tax in hard currency?

yikes lol and 300 for a massage ?

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,050 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can someone explain resort credits to me?

the 1500 resort credit is a good deal and not a rip off, yes you now have to pay the tax, you did not used to have to do that.

You can use to upgrade you room, lobster dinners, romantic dinners, upgraded wines, photo shoots, tours, spa ( but only $300. of the total 1500 credit can be used in spa services). You also cannot use in store, which saddened me LOL.

It is a bennie, worth taking advantage of if you choose, we did not use all our credits last time we went as we did not do any tours, not wine drinkers, did try to upgrade room, did the romantic dinner which was great..Had some lobsters...and used the max. in spa services...I had a few massages, a mani/pedi and so did hubby, and I had a facial and some rejuvenation thing..

Milford Michigan
Level Contributor
819 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can someone explain resort credits to me?

The $1500 resort credit cannot be used on just one service. You will be allowed, for example, $100 toward an upgrade wine, $ 300 toward a room upgrade. $ 200 in the gift shop, etc. The amounts I have given are just as a reference. We have used our credits in the gift shop, a room upgrade once and a couple of times toward a bottle of wine, but, that was a few years ago. Wasn't aware that you have to pay tax on it now.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,050 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can someone explain resort credits to me?

Yes 16 % tax now and no longer any use of them in gift shop at least at Hard Rock Vallarta..I was there in january!!

9. Re: Can someone explain resort credits to me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 06:19