We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI for free cellphone calling from Mexico to Canada or US

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
FYI for free cellphone calling from Mexico to Canada or US

We just got back from a quick trip and we like to keep in contact with the kids while we are there (even if we are only gone for 4 days.lol). We downloaded Magicjack to our phone and you can call the US and Canada for free. You have to have wifi (or turn your data on, but that would charge you, so defeat the point) and you can call for free. Was very handy and worked like a charm. You can also receive calls for free, but you have to set it up and we didn't do that since it was a quick trip and we only planned to call the kids a couple times.

Worked like a charm and thought that might be helpful for anyone looking to call home for free:)

vancouver
Level Contributor
394 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI for free cellphone calling from Mexico to Canada or US

Good to know, I am going to check this out on their website - is this an iphone app?

Edited: 17 April 2013, 17:35
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FYI for free cellphone calling from Mexico to Canada or US

Yes, it was an iphone app, but it also had apps for other phones as well. I also put it on my son's ipod and he can now call me if he needs to when he is in a wifi location.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FYI for free cellphone calling from Mexico to Canada or US

There's another app that works great called 'VIBER". Free over WIFI, let me repeat, free over WIFI. The recipient must be a VIBER user as well. With VIBER your number is displayed, I'm not sure about MagicJack. This is a good thread, there are ways to cut costs if you want to save money, it just takes a bit of research.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FYI for free cellphone calling from Mexico to Canada or US

With Magicjack the receiver does not need to be a magic jack user, you can call any number. The number that shows up is always a long distance number, not your own. However, you can set it up to use your own number as well, I just haven't done that, so don't know how it goes, but it is still free. You can also receive calls, but need to set that up as well for free. Great that there are these apps since it can be so costly to use your phone abroad:)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
735 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FYI for free cellphone calling from Mexico to Canada or US

Really like the app, but it would be so nice if one could call anywhere (not just US and Canada) without the need to have others on the app! Then I would not need to buy a PV cell phone!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FYI for free cellphone calling from Mexico to Canada or US

Skype works well too and it's free

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FYI for free cellphone calling from Mexico to Canada or US

I found Google Plus far superior to both Skype or Magicjack both of which I have used in the past. It is cost free. All you need is a g-mail account which also is free. No break ups on the video or distorted voice unlike the other systems. Used it all over Mexico with equaling good results.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FYI for free cellphone calling from Mexico to Canada or US

Is goggle plus video only and does the other person have to have it? Can you receive calls and can you text from it. Always nice to try a few options to see what works best for people. I never had any breakups with Magicjack when I used it at all though. Maybe it depends on the quality of the wifi?

san diego
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: FYI for free cellphone calling from Mexico to Canada or US

It is google voice. It's free. Texts and calls free to US. You can call any phone (cell or landline). Check out the Talkatone app.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FYI for free cellphone calling from Mexico to Canada or US

I will check that out too. I wonder if its' free for Canada as well.