We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best "In Town on the Beach" Hotels in PV?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
364 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best "In Town on the Beach" Hotels in PV?

Ok, so in my never ending search for the "Perfect" PV holiday, I think I am giving further consideration to staying closer to town - While Secrets is high on my list, I'd like the potential to walk or short cab ride to all the nice restaurants etc. in PV.

Good beach area and pool are a must. Cost isn't an issue as we're going to splurge for my 30th!

Advice needed!

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best "In Town on the Beach" Hotels in PV?

myself---regardless of the cost and the fact you can splurge--i'm WAY partial to los muertos beach and the location to it all. you would spend a whole lot less staying at playa los arcos---but it's nowhere near secrets amenities.

however you would be where everything is a short walk away.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best "In Town on the Beach" Hotels in PV?

I second iyamscifi. Los Muertos would be the way to go, but the hotels on or near that beach are not as fancy as Secrets would be. Have you thought about a condo?

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,908 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best "In Town on the Beach" Hotels in PV?

There are very simple places on the south side right on the beach. That's the thing....town doesn't have much in the way of high end hotels and almost nil AI because AI isn't necessary with all the restaurants. This is why many of us stay in condos on Los Muertos...the best of both worlds.

Take a look at Villa Premiere on the north side. It's not the south side but it's not as far as Secrets, but still not super close. Beach....I don't know, definitely adequate.

With your budget during low season.....whew hoo you could get one heck of a condo and watch all the action from your balcony.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
364 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best "In Town on the Beach" Hotels in PV?

KansasPVGal..thanks for your continued advice.

Any good condo recommendations? Also, how can i find and book one? Do most condos have beach bars and similar amenities? That's the only aspect of a condo that I'm otherwise uncomfortable with - overall I would love it though!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,908 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best "In Town on the Beach" Hotels in PV?

No problem. You walk out the door of your condo building on Los Muertos beach or close by and there will be about 10 beach bars ....beginning with right below or in front of your condo. The world is your oyster in a condo on Los Muertos.

VRBO is a good site and the tab "vacation rentals" is good too, those are just a start. You want "old town", "romantic zone", "south side" or Los Muertos Beach.....it could say any of those. They are the same place but you definitely want to see Los Muertos Beach somewhere in the write up.

Watch for Vista del Sol....just a few steps from main Los Muertos, Plaza Dorada right on Los Muertos, Plaza Mar...set back more than others but super close a nice location, La Palapa right on Los Muertos, Molino de Agua....the furthest away but very very nice, it is next to the river that divides downtown and the south side, and only 5 minutes or so walk from the main Los Muertos active area.

There are condos that aren't right on the most active area so it depends on if you're sure you want that much activity. It is usually quiet by 10 and 11 at night depending on where you stay, usually.

Do you have any dates chosen or is it open depending on what you can get?

Mentioned in this post
La Palapa Restaurant
La Palapa Restaurant
5,489 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
california
Level Contributor
72 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best "In Town on the Beach" Hotels in PV?

$100 a night 4 a Jr Ocean view suite @ Hotel San Marino - throw a rock out the window and you'll hit the Pacific Ocean. ($500 a night in Hawaii).

Can walk to all best restaurants.

However, ocean better than pool.

Mentioned in this post
San Marino Hotel
San Marino Hotel
795 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,555 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best "In Town on the Beach" Hotels in PV?

I would caution: for someone looking at Secrets Vallarta Bay, San Marino would be a serious step down.

I would agree with the condo route if your choice is to be in the busy walk-to-dining-etc area of Los Muertos. There are some really gorgeous units, as Los Muertos has more beachfront condos than hotels (and the beachfront hotels tend to run budget to mid-budget, not at the level of Secrets). If Secrets is your budget range, you will have no trouble finding a really nice condo in that price range anytime between now and November when the prices go back up for high season.

I'll just toss these out there, in keeping with your adult only environment theme. Seeing as you mentioned that was kind of important, these are two adult only options that jump to mind on the south side:

Quinta Maria Cortez - beachfront in Conchas Chinas. Very unique B&B place with lots of very interesting space, and you're probably less than 5 minutes to all the dining/shopping/beachfront bars of Los Muertos.

http://www.quinta-maria.com/

Casa Isabel - while not on the beach, adult only 14 suite boutique villa hotel, with onsite restaurant & bar, full kitchens in all but one unit, and all units have a full bay/city/mountain view. 2 pools and a rooftop jacuzzi on the upper level. As noted, not on the beach, but not far from it either, and you overlook the entire south side where you can go for dining, shopping, walking, entertainment, beach...etc.

www.casaisabelpv.com

Like I mentioned, I add those as options because you specifically mentioned you were looking for adult only places. Other than condos these are definitive adult only options.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 04:59
Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
San Marino Hotel
San Marino Hotel
795 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Quinta Maria Cortez
Quinta Maria Cortez
256 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Casa Isabel
Casa Isabel
1,011 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best "In Town on the Beach" Hotels in PV?

Tropicana is nice and clean. Pool. Nice people running the place. Great Views. Right on Los Muertos beach. Not as fancy as Secrets but I have stayed there twice and have no complaints. Drinks will be served to you at the pool and the beach. Right next to the beach bars.

"Funman"

Mentioned in this post
Tropicana Hotel
Tropicana Hotel
780 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,908 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best "In Town on the Beach" Hotels in PV?

I'll add to this thread that very few people with children stay in the condos in town....most stay in the resorts where they have a kids club. During the summer there could be a few more families, but at most condo complexes I wouldn't even give a thought to concern about kids.....they're pretty much adult only by nature.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best "In Town on the Beach" Hotels in PV?

To the OP - is this your first time in PV??