We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never ending quest for the 'perfect' condo rental

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Never ending quest for the 'perfect' condo rental

We've only been to PV once, really enjoyed our stay. Now, we're looking to stay for the month of October.

Looking for a one bedroom condo. I'm cross eyed from looking at VRBO, Flipkey and such.

The two I'm looking closest at are a unit at Plaza Mar and a unit at Selva Romantica.

Ocean views aren't really important to us. It's the green and the mountains that are drawing us back to PV.

Any thoughts on these two properties, or, any other that you've stayed at and enjoyed. We don't need really high end.

Mentioned in this post
Selva Romantica
Selva Romantica
58 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,861 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never ending quest for the 'perfect' condo rental

I have stayed at Plaza Mar but not Selva Romantica. Two different worlds though.

Plaza Mar is in the thick of things....easy to walk everywhere. The park is across the street so if you're staying on the southern facing side of the building you will hear things going on in the morning and evening, but usually not past 9 or 10 pm and not every night.

In the mornings in the park starting at 8 am there is a Zumba class M - Sat. with music so you have to decide if you like that or not. It lasts and hour and anybody can join. From Plaza Mar on that side ...to me it's fun to watch the vendors in the park, people walking their dogs and all the other activity.

Mentioned in this post
Selva Romantica
Selva Romantica
58 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Never ending quest for the 'perfect' condo rental

We stayed in a condo at Selva Romantica last February and loved it. Beautiful condo, grounds, pool and view. It is a hike up a hill, no matter which way you go, but it is very do-able. We can't wait to go back.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 15:58
Mentioned in this post
Selva Romantica
Selva Romantica
58 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Never ending quest for the 'perfect' condo rental

Same area, two different types of places. Plaza Mar is beachfront, Selva Romantica up at the top of a hill (note: I walk this hill every October, when it's humid and hot it can be a challenge so keep that in mind...that and the sidewalks are uneven in areas and steep in others so be mindful of your step).

Selva is newer and has different buildings of differing styles - if you do a search of this forum on Selva, you will see there have been recent discussions about one of the buildings hearing music noise drifting up from the area it overlooks (we think it's probably coming from the area around Nacho Daddy), so if you are thinking about this condo make sure you determine which building you're in...or take earplugs like many of us do who like to sleep in. (-;

Plaza Mar has it's own noises, being right at the beach and up against the park. Anything beachfront I'd take earplugs for sleeping in. Units here are varying sizes and decors depending on the owners.

I would bet Selva gets better east/west breezes in October than Plaza Mar owing to its location, unless you were in an oceanfront unit at PM. Very handy during that month if you can find a place where you can open windows/doors wide and let the natural air act as your cooling system.

I'll just toss this out there - have you checked with Vallarta Getaways too? They're right in PV and do lots of longer term rentals. Friends of mine use them for their long stays and have not been disappointed. http://www.vallarta-getaways.com/

Edited: 19 April 2013, 16:19
Mentioned in this post
Selva Romantica
Selva Romantica
58 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Calgary
Level Contributor
231 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never ending quest for the 'perfect' condo rental

We're in a 5th floor one bedroom beachfront condo at Plazamar right now - been here for 5 days. All I can say is that it's awesome. Noise isn't an issue for sleeping as the unit is long and skinny and the bedroom is at the opposite end, furthest from the beachfront balcony. As for noise when we sit on the balcony, it has never bothered us. Unless the sound of crashing waves bothers you then you'd love it. We sit up on the rooftop pool deck and marvel at the beauty of PV, day and night. Front desk staff and the maids provide excellent service. Super easy to walk to restaurants, bars and shops. Couldn't be happier with our choice of lodging.

Mentioned in this post
Plazamar
Plazamar
50 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never ending quest for the 'perfect' condo rental

Great to hear that nomadio! we have reserved a one-bedroom condo in Plaza Mar for next February - on the 4th floor overlooking the park we love so much! I can't wait to sit on the rooftop deck! just curious, have you tried A Taste of Italy across from the park? great food, cheap prices!

Mentioned in this post
A Taste of Italy
A Taste of Italy
264 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,953 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never ending quest for the 'perfect' condo rental

To the OP, here´s what you said was important to you.

"Ocean views aren't really important to us. It's the green and the mountains that are drawing us back to PV".

Virtually all the units in Selva Romantica are beautifully designed and decorated, even the small ones (my friend stayed in a studio two years ago and loved it) , and the pool area is magnificent, as is the architecture of the complex and the landscaping ("Selva" means forest in Spanish.) They have pathways lined with trees and the whole area is really quite beautiful and residential (lots of trees) while at the same time being a short walking distance to the beach.

Only if you have problems with steps would I think you´d be better off at Plaza given your priorities. Selva Romantica is up a hill (not too bad), but within the complex, you have to climb stairs to get to the pool area. But, it´s not terrible. Lots of retirees stay there (along with others). Some units have a partial ocean view.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 18:19
Mentioned in this post
Selva Romantica
Selva Romantica
58 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never ending quest for the 'perfect' condo rental

As Kansas says, the south side of Plaza Mar is on Lazaro Cardenas park, but from the balconies you have an ocean view, a view of the mountains (we watched some welders set fire to a small section of palapa roof at Casa Isabel one year) and you can look right back to the east up into the mountains. Plus from the rooftop pool area you pretty much have a 360 view.

Never a lack of things to see. Watch for the flock of parrots that visits the jacaranda trees in the park.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Isabel
Casa Isabel
1,005 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never ending quest for the 'perfect' condo rental

I've only seen Selva Romantica from the outside but it looks VERY nice. For rentals I use www.vallarta-getaways.com under the "Unique Old Town rentals" tab. El Escondido and Loma del Mar are two other condo buildings in that same area as Selva Romantica.

suze

Mentioned in this post
Selva Romantica
Selva Romantica
58 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
331 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never ending quest for the 'perfect' condo rental

We have stayed at both recently and prefer the Selva Romantica. This upcoming trip will be our second year in a row at the Selva in a one bedroom two bath condo. They both have their pros and cons see below:

Plaza Mar (2010 & 2011)

Pros:

Location - no hills to climb, walk to everything

Clean building - Mexican charm

Units are super clean and spacious, with full kitchens

Roof top pool area - no one ever used it during our stay except for us. It was really nice to go up there chill out and have the area to ourselves, there's even a bar, fridge, showers, bathrooms, library/game room and laundry for your use. Great views of ZR and the bay. The pool is nice size, deep by today's standards and refreshing. We loved it.

Balcony that over looked the plaza and the bay

Secure building - you need to be buzzed to get into the building

Friendly, professional staff

My only Con:

It can be pretty noisy until 11pm or later every night. Loud magicians, loud music sound system, bright stage lights that beamed into the condo, etc. Our balcony overlooked the plaza so at night was difficult to keep the balcony windows open for fresh air. (Not sure if the ocean front units will experience the same.) Now I hear there's exercise class every morning at 8 with loud music.

Selva Romantica (2012 & 2013)

Pros:

Lovely, well maintained grounds spread out buildings

Spacious clean units

Good mix of modern with old world architecture.

Great location walking distance everywhere - it is a little hilly but we live in San Francisco so no biggie

Full kitchens- some are more tricked out than others

Huge beautiful pool with amazing views of the bay and town

In unit laundry rooms

Two bathrooms in one bedroom units

Security on site at all times.

Good mix of renters and owners at pool area

Our unit had a beautiful view of the hills and surrounding area.

QUIET location, very relaxing at night. In the morning you can hear the birds chirping.

Cons:

None. That's why we've booked Selva Romantica again for this year's trip.

Mentioned in this post
Selva Romantica
Selva Romantica
58 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,861 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never ending quest for the 'perfect' condo rental

Someone on the forum said they did hear loud music from a bar until the wee hours of the morning when they stayed at Selva Romantica. ( I thought they said until 4 in the morning) It was this high season.

It was determined that it depended on what unit you stay in at Selva. Don't mean to be a bummer but I distinctly remember this coming to light. Maybe the person who commented will see.

Mentioned in this post
Selva Romantica
Selva Romantica
58 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico