We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Difference?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Big Difference?

Want to make a trip to Dreams PV in 2014. Is it a deal breaker not to stay in preferred? Want to stay 2 weeks. Should we bite the bullet? Don't mind as long as I am blown away ! :)

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Difference?

We have stayed twice in the older tower and loved it there

I would splurge for a balcony room in old tower but not two weeks in preferred

Hamilton, Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Difference?

I've been to Dreams PV four times and we've never stayed in the preferred tower. I'll give it the rooms are nicer and their lobby in that tower is a lot nicer but that being said we were only in the room to sleep. All the other ammenities are the same. I would think that if you're gonna spend a bit of time in the room then the preferred tower is the way to go, otherwise the regular tower seemed more than adequate for us. The rooms are still very nice, just not as high end as the preferred tower.

Nice thing is both towers have ocean views!!!!

new york
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Difference?

If you really can't decide, do 1 week in regular tower and 1 week in preferred tower.

Or if you go in low season, you can book

A regular tower room then contact the hotel confirming your reservation and asking if they have any upgrades to preferred at special rates. Mention in your email that you would love preferred but can only afford $40-$50 per day extra. You should get a favorable reply. This will be cheaper than just outright booking a preferred room

With that being said, I stayed in both and preferred the preferred room only because there was more space. However, I liked the view better from the old tower. You should be happy in either room. I was.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,652 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Difference?

One constatnt I've noticed in reviews from several of the past guests is they are offered an upgrade to the preferred tower at a reduced rate from the normal bbooking rate (~$50/d I believe). Just something to keep in mind although availability will drive that.

new york
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Difference?

They offer an upgrade when you check in but I believe it's more than $50 per day.

I'd do it via email first to see what's offered.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Difference?

Hi Judy. We did a few days in the old tower and the remaining days in the preferred. I liked the preferred much more, great bed, bathroom was awesome, and the lobby and snack bar is nice as well...I think its worth the upgrade if you don't mind spending a few extra dollars. They gave us some resort credits and we used those and saved some $$$..

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,652 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Difference?

Actually zebra the reports were 1/2 the normal rate, or $50/day for a standard room in the preferred tower. Just thought I'd mention that. We're staying at Dreams in a few weeks following a week at Casa Isabel and I've read many of the reviews. Judy I would suggest you research them as well, very helpful!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Difference?

Thanks folks.. I am a bit of a room nut, so will probably go with preferred...I just wish I wasn't!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,652 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Difference?

A nice room can make a stay more enjoyable of course, and if cost wasn't a factor the Dream tower would be pretty empty!

new york
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Difference?

Crmoores,

I'm going to read the reviews again. I was under the impression that once you got there, the rates were higher to upgrade. Maybe that was for the high season. I'm headed to Dreams for 5 nights at the beginning of June so whatever I reread will come in handy. If I can upgrade at the resort for $50 per night then I'll do that instead. Thanks.