We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with the name of a restaurant please!

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with the name of a restaurant please!

I really didn't want to hijack the "lost dining " thread so figured I should start a new one.

Hubby and I are going to be staying in Bucerias and PV next month and I'm trying to figure out if a restaurant that we ate at in ( I believe) 1992 is still open for business. We had just got engaged at that time and we remember it as having a wonderful view, great food and romantic ambiance.

We took a taxi up into the hills and it seemed like we climbed forever. We saw hardly any other traffic, just kids playing on the streets in a residential area. Just when we were beginning to think that the driver had misunderstood where we wanted to go, we pulled up to a ? house with a flat spot almost like a helicopter landing area where he let us out.

One of the things that we both remember was the incredible view of the Bay and the flies that were buzzing around our drinks lol! Our waiter saw us covering our wine glasses with our hands and told us not to worry, fifteen minutes and they would all be gone. Sure enough, fifteen minuted later as it was turning to dusk, several geckos came out of the cracks in the restaurant walls and in no time at all, bingo the flies were gone!

I have looked and looked at reviews and the only place that seems to come close is El Palomar de Los Gonzales but my hubby is not convinced that was the same place . He figures that:

- The place we were in was higher above the old town than El Palomar appears to be from the pics..

- There was no pool there.

- The terrace was only on one level.

- The restaurant name was longer ( A co-worker recommended it and gave him a slip of paper with the name on, his recollection was that it read more like a sentence )

I pointed out that lots of changes to the structure could have been made in the last twenty years : ) : )

Anyone who lives in PV or has been going there for years have any thoughts on this?

Sorry for the long post, we would love to go back to that same restaurant this trip if the place is still aroound. Many thanks!

Edited: 27 April 2013, 21:36
Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Salud Super Food
£, Mexican, Cafe, Fusion
Bravos Restaurant Bar
££ - £££, Seafood, International
Martini en Fuego Grill Bar
££ - £££, Mexican, Latin, Seafood
North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with the name of a restaurant please!

Mezzogiorno might be the place to which you refer.

Great view and good food and drinks.

I think this might possibly be your place.

Post what you think.

Michael

Edited: 27 April 2013, 22:02
Mentioned in this post
MEZZOGIORNO
MEZZOGIORNO
716 Reviews
Bucerias, Mexico
Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with the name of a restaurant please!

Michael:

The place we were at was in PV perched high up and the terrace overlooked the bay . Haven't been to Bucerias yet, this will be our first time.

Thank you for your reply though, much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with the name of a restaurant please!

If you feel like you climbed forever, it might be Las Carmelitas. It is the highest restaurant in Vallarta. Been there forever, owned by the same family. It´s actually a ranch, but I´m not sure how much money they make out of the ranch part of it. The animals look more like pets:)

When you look up in the mountains from downtown, you see a string of little white lights on a single structure high in the mountains, all by itself..

We were there the other day and I´m in the process of posting a review. They have opened a second level where you get an absolutely amazing view of the whole Bay, even better than before. , and the new level is more upscale too. .Food is excellent.

Mentioned in this post
Restaurante Las Carmelitas
Restaurante Las...
126 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with the name of a restaurant please!

careyeroslib:

Thanks for the suggestion but that definitely wasn't it. It was a brick or stone building.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with the name of a restaurant please!

How about Ah Caramba! It is in a residential area high above the city?

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,898 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with the name of a restaurant please!

Sometimes the first time you go somewhere like that in PV it can feel like much more of a climb because it's all so different than anything we're used to. Second time it usually feels like you get there faster.

El Palomar de los Gonzales has changed quite a bit since 1992. The patio was much smaller back then as well as quite basic, and there was no pool. I think it's very possible it's that one because that restaurant was a big deal back in the late 80's and on for quite a few years, and the family did indeed live there, and everybody was recommending it. I remember not being able to actually see much of the house inside other than the entrance area and really wanting to see more.

My first trip up there I remember very narrow streets and yes a feeling of climbing for sure, not to mention the tight turns as it spiraled upward, and last but not least....the cobblestones making you think the cab could slip backwards if the driver didn't keep moving. :-)

Edited: 28 April 2013, 00:15
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,898 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with the name of a restaurant please!

Oh and yes it was only one terrace back then with a wrought iron railing as I remember.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with the name of a restaurant please!

It must be Las Carmelitas, they've made a lot of changes since 1992.

Mentioned in this post
Restaurante Las Carmelitas
Restaurante Las...
126 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,898 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with the name of a restaurant please!

It's fun trying to figure these things out when people ask.

JR - Judy says it was a residential street with kids playing in the street. Was there a residential area near Las Carmelita's back then? She also says the restaurant had a long name like a sentence, so I'm still betting on El Palomar de Los Gonzalez.....

Judy - If it was Las Carmelita's then you were in a rural setting. PV would have looked extremely small from way up there, buildings wouldn't have been identifiable other than the largest landmark buildings.

If this was in town then most likely either side of the street was lined with residential buildings, like the rest of PV.

Another place that existed then was Felipe's. It is for sale now and here's the link below but I can't remember what the outside looked like back then. I remember the terrace though, it was a brick terrace with a wrought iron railing. It was more tropical because they had a small palapa roof over one section and had the rattan and wood chairs and also the typical leather type. It could easily be Felipe's too.

Remember the skyline and foliage will be different now as compared to back then.

point2homes.com/MX/…28287373.html

Mentioned in this post
El Palomar de los Gonzalez
El Palomar de los...
851 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Pacific Latitiude...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with the name of a restaurant please!

If it is with no pool, maybe Senor Chicos (now Vista Grill).