We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debit card compromised at Scotiabank

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manning, Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Debit card compromised at Scotiabank

We've been home for over 3 weeks now and received a call from our Credit Union yesterday that my debit card had been compromised. I only used it once at the Scotiabank downtown across from the square, sure glad my bank is on top of things.....

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debit card compromised at Scotiabank

Always remember to change your pin # when you get back home.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Debit card compromised at Scotiabank

Scotiabank is great for that! Same thing happened to me.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debit card compromised at Scotiabank

Looks like they (the perpetrators) have switched ATM machines.....still the same experience / result. Sure glad I don't use an ATM while I'm traveling in Mexico.....just too much of a headache, imho.

!Se divirtieren!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Debit card compromised at Scotiabank

LonestarGumby

"High Five" ✋

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Debit card compromised at Scotiabank

Better not use it in Vegas either.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Debit card compromised at Scotiabank

JR

I don't! :)

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Debit card compromised at Scotiabank

Oh boy, you guys are making me nervous. I always use ATMs in Mexico. I don't understand how an atm card can be compromised. Please explain this to me. Thanks in advance.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Debit card compromised at Scotiabank

billy, there are multiple ways. A false front and camera can be installed on an ATM. This will capture your card number, and the pin as you type it in. Some people suggest pulling on the front of the card reader a bit -- if it's fake, it may pull off. Also cover your hand when typing the pin so a camera can't read it.

Others have mentioned that a fake cardswipe is installed to the door of an ATM -- you should never have to swipe a card to enter the atm area.

A second method is what I would call an inside job. Someone who works with the bank or ATM has compromised the reader and it is logging numbers and PINs. That file is then transferred to the bad guys who wait a few weeks or a month before using the card numbers.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 11:07
Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Debit card compromised at Scotiabank

Just a heads up for travelers to the Marina area, people trying to get 1000 pesos from the ATM at the Oxxo store across from Mayan Place were getting reciepts for 1000 pesos but only recieving 500 pesos, one lady we talked with went to the bank that owned the machine & was told there was nothing they could do about it since her receipt showed she had gotten the 1000 pesos.

It happened to at least three different people last week while we were at Club Regina.

Seems that the ATMs in P.V have been a problem for quite awhile & there seems to be little or nothing being done about it, there are many posts about it the past 2-3 months.

We used cash on our trip I'd rather pay a little more to get pesos from the cambios than have to hassle with changing PIN #s or cards when I return home.

We have used our debit & credit cards everywhere we have traveled the past 45 years & have had one compomised during that time.

10. Re: Debit card compromised at Scotiabank

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 May 2013, 23:05