We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highly Recommend

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Highly Recommend

Listening to the May 4, 2013 broadcast from the Rick Steves website, first half of the program is an interview with Carl Franz and Lorena Havens, authors of "The People's Guide to Mexico". I agree completely with their comments.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highly Recommend

And I *love* the book!

Great insight into the character of Mexico, and a joy to read.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highly Recommend

I've been monitoring a TV channel for several weeks now that has Rick Steves, Smart TRavel, and other shows on different international destinatilons. We caught the 30 seconds of a Smart Travel segment on PV several weeks ago and it hasn't re-aired since. I see all of the other destinations repeating except that one, of course. I didn't know about Rick Steves' website and I'll check that out.

Thanks!

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,480 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highly Recommend

Thanks JR, I just ordered us a copy.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,359 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highly Recommend

JR - Thanks, I just listened to it and it's really good. My book is over 23 years old, maybe it's time to order a new copy for some new stories!

Hey folks if you listen you don't have to sit there with a blank screen....you can cruise the internet while you listen. They touched on all the important topics and questions.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,165 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highly Recommend

Thanks for the reminder JR. I adore Carl Franz. For many years now, that truly has been the one single book, if you're only going to read one, that will tell you the most, that is the most useful and practical, about traveling in Mexico. suze

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,672 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Highly Recommend

Link to the webpage for those who would like to listen.

www.ricksteves.com/radio/radio_menu.htm

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highly Recommend

There's also a free Podcast download on iTunes. :)

"Where ever you are, There you are"

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highly Recommend

Good listen - thanks JR

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Highly Recommend

I really believe every visitor to Mexico should listen to this :)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Highly Recommend

Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed it. The part about not planning too far ahead and needing to roll with whatever happens is particularly good. That always seems to happen to me, where best laid plans end up thrown out the window and I end up standing by the side of the highway looking for a colectivo, or hitchiking in the bed of a pickup truck -- it's how you react to all of this that really makes or breaks the trip.