We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from golden crown paradise. The good,bad and the...

houston,texas
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just back from golden crown paradise. The good,bad and the...

We just returned from the GCP. We have never been before and have never been to an all inclusive resort either. We chose the GCP based solely on this forum. If you plan on staying here I hope that my info is helpful and informative. These are the things you will need if you stay here. 1. Money 2. earplugs 3.soft towels 4.flip flops 5.igloo container 6.patience 7.sense of humor. We checked in without a hitch in only 5 minutes tops. As soon as you get off the bus walk right to check in. They will take care of your bags. That way you wont have 50 people ahead of you. After checking in, you identify your bags and they bring them up right away. Tip around 2 or 3 bucks. Walking into the lobby we were really impressed. Beautiful open air with a nice breeze. One of the baggage handlers was trying to be funny but it came out as sarcastic and rude. Ticked me off but I just blew it off. When we walked into the room I was shocked. 4-5 star? Hardly. It was along the lines of La Quinta, Red ROOF INN, Roadway INN, etc. Nothing fancy. Trust me. The room had a nice view of the pool and ocean. I dont think you would want an ocean front because the sun would fry you in the afternoon because the rooms face the west. So we go down to the bar and tried to order drinks. Notice I said tried to order drinks. We stood there for awhile and basically were ignored. OK maybe it was just my imagination. After a few drinks and checking out the hotel we were getting hungry so we went to the bella vista for dinner. The nicer restaurants you need reservations to eat at so they told us to go to bella vista for dinner. I dont know why. The paradise and salvators were never more than half full. So we are at bella vista @ 9:00, tired, hungry, kind of disappointed. We order our soup,salad, apps. and entree. The salad was bad. The soup was bad. The apps were bad. We ordered water. Not once. Not twice But 3 times. Never came. After waiting @ 20 more minutes and no entree, we got up and left. Word to the wise. If you choose to eat at bella vista, you have to eat outside because theres no ac inside and we thought we were going to pass out from heat stroke. So we hailed a cab and went downtown ( 40 pesos) and ate. We walked around for awhile, and took a chance on one called tacolandia. Good choice. Good food, good prices, and an excellant mango margorita. We got lucky I guess. It was 1 or 2 streets off the malecon. At this point we were kind of wondering if we had made a mistake with GCP. The next day was about the same. The breakfast wasnt very good at bella vista. The lunch wasnt very good. That night we had dinner at salvators. Finally a good meal at GCP. And the service was excellant. The next day we did the time share presentation for the paradise village in nuevo vallarta. For listening to their sales pitch, they gave us a bottle of tequila, a certificate for 1000 pesos( towards other tours) taxi fare to and from and a meal at paradise village. The meal was good, the property was 5 star and gorgeous. Dont listen to its only 1 and 1 half hours long. Its about 3 to 4 hours long. The time share lady is in the GCP lobby. Its worth it for the free meal and certificate towards the tours. Dont forget we also got a free bottle of tequila. Dont forget to ask for that . The paradise village will give you a slip of paper at the end of the presentation and you walk down the street from (not very far) to a local store to get the tequila. Ive never been to one of these time share presentations before. Very hard sell. Dont let it intimidate you. With our cerficate for tours, the next day we took the city tour( 41.00 pp) So we saved 82.00. ( save it, you"ll need it later for food) The bus picked us up @ 9:30, it lasted @ 6 hours and included lunch. The bus ( with ac) drove through the city, stopped for shopping at the flea market, stopped for a tequila tasting, continued up ( south of town) to la nogalita restaurant in the jungle( very beautiful, food not very good, figures) then back to the hotel. Very good tour. Recommended. The best meal we had was at Marisco Polos. We had the grilled seafood platter. It was wonderfull. The next best was porto bello at the marina. I read somewhere you can walk from GCP to the marina. No way. It would be a long, hot and dangerous walk. Take a taxi. Its only 40 pesos. And another thing. If you take a taxi somewhere and its say 40 or 50 pesos and on the return trip its 50-60 pesos, tell the driver you paid 40 to get here, theyll lower the amount. And negotiate the amount before getting in. OK I"m almost finished. The third night we ate at Salvadors at the GCP. You guessed it! After 1 hour and 45 minutes and we still had not received our entree, we left. Two walk outs in 3 days. Back to my" to bring list " Money: If you stay at GCP, youll be eating out alot. 2.Earplugs: The hotel walls at the GCP are paper thin and you can hear things from every wall, even above you. Im not kidding. The lady above us was wearing hard soled shoes and when she walked all you heard was,clump, clump,clump,clump. And the drunks rolling in @ 2-3-4 oclock in the morning, talking loud, trying to open our door, slamming doors. Or the games being played in the pool in the afternoon, music being played by the pool, etc. If you like to sleep at night or nap during the day, you would understand. 3. Soft towels. The cheap, paper thin, sand paper towels at the GCP dont feel too good on sunburned skin.4.Flip flops. The sand at the beach is about 2000 degrees. You constantly will be washing the sand off your feet and you wouldnt want to ruin your good slip on shoes. Another thing I recommend is good closed toed walking shoes. While walking downtown I tripped on a curb and almost broke my neck. Thank God I didnt have on open toed shoes. 5. Igloo container. The one thing I could not have done without. Have the bar fill with ice and water. It was a lifesaver. It is very hot on the beach and with drinking alcohol, your chance of getting dehydrated is very high. Those little 12 oz bottels just wont do. We did have 2 good meals at the french restaurant next door(Crown paradise) and the service was excellent. The best we had. As for the drinks at GCP, the alcohol was the cheapest, most watered down garbage you have ever tasted. The drinks are poorly made and taste terrible. Once I was drinking a mixed drink and could taste the lime or triple sec from the previous margarita. Disgusting. Stand at the bar and watch for yourselves how good the glasses are cleaned. The wine is the cheapest, worst tasting you will ever drink. If you went to 7-11 Im positive you could find their cheapest wine and it would be better than GCP's. We went to dinner one night and there were bottels of wine near the front door. My wife asked the waiter if she could have a better bottle than the garbage they were serving and he said yes, but they would have to charge our room. Can you believe that? I will say the people who work there, from the front desk, gardners, housekeeping, bartenders, etc, they work their butts off. Our housekeeper was great and we always had clean towels. Please tip these people. They deserve it. Its not the bartenders fault they have such cheap liquer to serve. I will never stay at an all inclusive resort again. And I will never ever stay at GCP again.

Puerto Vallarta Cycling
Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours
NexusTours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Swim with Dolphins, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Canopy Tour El Eden
City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Eco Explorer Jet Ski Safari
Water Sports, Scuba & Snorkeling, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, City Tours
Johnsburg, IL
Level Contributor
685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from golden crown paradise. The good,bad and the...

Bofred, I'm so sorry this has disappointed you so deeply! Perhaps you are right, an AI is not the choice for you. We have stayed there only once and it was far better than any other AI we'd stayed at. You do seem to be on the picky side so I hope most readers will evaluate your report and take as just that, "YOUR REPORT!"

Your statement:

"Or the games being played in the pool in the afternoon, music being played by the pool, etc. If you like to sleep at night or nap during the day, you would understand."

For crumb sake, you're on vacation, I hope you are playing games at the pool and enjoying the night life! Isn't that why we go on vacation? If you want to sit by a quiet pool and have no distractions or interruptions by all means don't ever book at an AI again. And we never had any trouble sleeping at night. The slider was even left open most nights and we didn't feel we were being disturbed.

We'll be returning to GCP end of Sept. for a 10 day stay instead of the usual 7 days we go for and I certainly hope we do have lots of fun at the pool during the day and even more fun at the Factory Club at night! We are 47 and do still like to enjoy ourselves when we go on vacation!

P.S. We in fact had so much fun we never left this resort the first time we stayed there! We've been to PV several other times and had already done some touristy things so we were glad that we enjoyed the resort so much!

P.P.S Again, sorry you didn't have a good time. Better luck next time at a tme share or condo rental!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
402 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from golden crown paradise. The good,bad and the...

pmm:

Thanks for your reply. We are leaving for GCP on Wed. 6/7 and I am feeling great about this resort. We have been to PV several times but never at the GCP. Looking forward to a great time!

Yakima, WA
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from golden crown paradise. The good,bad and the...

It really is too bad about your trip. I'm sorry that this resort just didn't do it for you, but I can tell you that I had a great time last summer and am eagerly awaiting my next trip in 4 days. If we didn't like it the first time, we definitely wouldn't be going back again.

The pool is fun, make sure to participate in Tequila Volleyball. The Oceanfront rooms are the best since there is very little noise except for the crashing waves of the Pacific.

Mentioned in this post
Tequila
Tequila
Jalisco, Mexico
Orange County...
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from golden crown paradise. The good,bad and the...

living in Texas,brofred..it should be #7.. sense. of humor..imo

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
5. Re: Just back from golden crown paradise. The good,bad and the...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2006, 00:40
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from golden crown paradise. The good,bad and the...

Sorry, my response should have been directed at brofred.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from golden crown paradise. The good,bad and the...

Brofred I am so sorry that your stay at the Golden Crown Paradise wasn't up to your expectations. It seems to me that the place you stayed at was not the same one I've visited four times. I feel so strongly about my stays at the GPC that I've already booked my trip for November.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from golden crown paradise. The good,bad and the...

no problem nointhethru.. call for a towel..imo..lol

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from golden crown paradise. The good,bad and the...

Okay is it just me or is brofred talking about at totally different hotel. I've been there twice and never heard of a restuarant called Bella Vista or Salvadors at the Golden Crown and the Golden Crown is not next door to the Crown Paradise. Maybe I missed somthing but I don't think brofred was at the Golden Crown. We absolutely loved it the last two years and are going back again.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from golden crown paradise. The good,bad and the...

Too bad, my suggestion is like you said at the bottom of your report, don't return. Por favor!

I am going for my 12th visit in 7 years and have never expeirenced anything close to what you reported.