We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking about visiting PV... Need recommendations.

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking about visiting PV... Need recommendations.

My wife and I are planning a trip to mexico. I was looking into Puerto Vallarta because I was told its nice and on the low end for cost. We are 30 years old and want to be at an active resort. Doesn't necessarily have to be adults only... but also don't want to be tripping over kids running around. My travel agent recommended Canto Del Sol Plaza and Riu Jalisco. Both look nice, but am looking for other opinions. I saw a resort online called the Hilton Puerto Vallarta. It looked newly built in 2012. Anybody been there?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
494 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking about visiting PV... Need recommendations.

The Riu isn't in PV, it's in Nuevo Vallarta. I would read the hotel reviewson each property (posted on this site)... it will help you narrow it down.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking about visiting PV... Need recommendations.

Check the frequently asked questions lots of great info.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,368 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking about visiting PV... Need recommendations.

Here's a question for you.....If there is a great town for walking, dining, beach bars, live music, variety of areas in one town .....are you more prone to get out and explore quite a bit, rather than spend the large majority of your time on resort? If that's true for you, then I don't recommend staying in Nuevo which is where the Riu is located, it would be too far from PV for you.

Canto del Sol is known for being social but I don't know either way about the Hilton. Take a look at Buenaventura because it's known for being social too. The degree of actual activity like volleyball etc. I can't say.

Take a look at these maps and you'll get the lay of the land and see exactly where the resorts/hotels are located. Use the "move down" prompt at the bottom of each map and you'll be able to move south since they're all in order N to S. The Riu is on the Nuevo map which is the map I started with. Canto del Sol and the Hilton are in the Hotel Zone and Buenaventura is on the north downtown map.

If you like to enjoy town quite a bit, ....downtown and the south side map areas are the most popular, with the south side being the most popular area. You'll see the south side referred to as the Romantic Zone, old vallarta, and even Viejo Vallarta, but they are one in the same.

maps and more reading material.....

http://vallartainfo.com/nuevo.html

AR
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking about visiting PV... Need recommendations.

The Hilton is on a nice beach, Playa d' Oro, and is a nice property. I normally stay nearby, and did not see much activity...mostly folks were relaxing on the beach or near the pool...as I walked by 3-4 times a day on the beachside earlier this year. The Hilton is on property that was part of Krystal Resort and just opened in Oct. 2012, I believe. It is very near the Maritime Marina (for tours, cruises, etc.) within walking distance to Soriana, Wal-Mart, Cruise Terminal, an upscale shopping center and 1/2 block from the bus stop...one can take a short bus ride into town for 6.5 pesos (or has it gone up to 7.5?) . There is a nightclub on the Krystal property(next to the Hilton) that used to be quite popular...it has recently undergone renovation, and is open again, if that might interest you. Of course, there is shopping, eating, drinking, dancing, etc. in town as well.

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking about visiting PV... Need recommendations.

Thank you all for the responses. This is getting me in the right direction. I guess to answer some of the questions, I would like to go walk around the town and do some shopping or eating if its safe. It sounds like this is ok to do. So I guess I would like to be close to the town... not necessarily walking, but maybe a close cab ride. Which leads to my next question.. Money. Do they take American currency? Do I need to exchange for Mexican currency? How does that work?

Thanks again for all the help!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,305 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking about visiting PV... Need recommendations.

I think you want to stay in or near town.

Yes it's safe to walk around for eating and shopping.

Yes most places will take USD but you'll get better value if you change money or get peso from an ATM bank machine.

I'd start by looking at resort/hotels like Villa Premiere/Buenaventura, Sunset Plaza. Now Amber/Secrets, etc.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking about visiting PV... Need recommendations.

Safety is not an issued here. :)

Thorold, Canada
Level Contributor
961 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking about visiting PV... Need recommendations.

In my own experiences in 35 years of travelling I found the following to be true. If you're looking to party hearty go to the cheapest all inclusive place in town. If you're looking to sit around a nice beach reading a book while someone caters to your every need go to the most expensive place. The price scale of cheapest to most expensive almost exactly coincides with the party level. If you're looking to spend a lot of time in the city, I recommend getting a place close to town, but not in town, unless you're immune to a lot of noise. I've not been yet but I've been told that Friendly Vallarta is a great all inclusive and it's central, close to downtown, the marina and a great shopping centre. Nuevo Vallarta, north of town and the airport, is a bit more secluded with smaller towns close-by. Enjoy. Safety is not an issue but just like anywhere else use a bit of common sense.

Edited: 08 May 2013, 17:39
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking about visiting PV... Need recommendations.

You should check out New Amber, it is right downtown on the strip and is new. I saw it from the road and it looked really nice and it is brand new.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking about visiting PV... Need recommendations.

As far as PV being safe, If this helps you, I am going on my own next month. This will be my 5th time there, all the other times with my husband. Have fun, you will love it!