We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Mexico City!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Mexico City!

Hello All, I have 1 month before I arrive in PV. I am flying in to Mexico City and want to take a bus to PV as this is my 1st time coming to Mexico. I want to see the country up close and personal.Can anyone advise me on this process? I have researched this and could not find any current info. Thank you in advance!!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Mexico City!

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Check out this web site for more info.

I looked into this for a March,13 trip and found out that Interjet Airline charges approx. $120US one way and ETN (bus) charges approx $100 US. Interjet takes about 1 1/2 hrs in the morning and ETN takes 12 hours from 6:30 pm to 6:30 am arrival.

I hope this helps. Enjoy.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,284 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Mexico City!

Hmm, it's hard to see much of the country on a night bus ride, is it? (There are probably other departures though.)

Note that ETN is quite luxurious, totally beyond any US-based companies. Think first-class on an airplane.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Mexico City!

Thank you all so much. I would not be on a night bus ride. I would arrive in Mexico City early in the morning. Maybe I am just misunderstanding you ViajeroPerdido. Again, thank you for all of your comments and I welcome more.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Mexico City!

Seems ETN departures for Puerto Vallarta direct are all night time, but you will be going through Guadalajara which has many busses a day from Mexico City, then in Guadalajara chose your bus of choice to PV.

Better view from the bus :)

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Mexico City!

In addition to ETN there are 3 daily departures on Futura, 3 on Primera Plus but all are overnight. If you have to do the journey in one day and in daylight then get one bus to Guadalajara (the largest bus hub en route) and then another one to Puerto Vallarta.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Mexico City!

I am slowly getting things together. I am flying into Toluca Airport. Is the bus station there or do I need to get a taxi to the bus depot. I think I will do the Mexico City to Guadaljara trip then PV. Thank you all for your comments. Also, Interjet did not have any flights from Mexico City to PV for June as I understood on their website. I would have taken that route because the bus trip is longer than I thought or wanted.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,404 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Mexico City!

Here´s another good Forum for you to ask your question on, especially with respect to logistics. Lots of people with mucho travel experience post there.

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?forum=12;guest=53707348

You might want to keep in mind the option of flying to Guadalajara and then taking a bus from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta. The latter leg is really the only scenic part of that trip because it´s mostly toll roads from Guadalajara to Mexico City. Not very scenic just designed to get people as quickly as possible from A to B. Btw ETN buses to Puerto Vallarta leave from the Guadalajara bus station app. every half hour.

Good luck.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Mexico City!

To get to Toluca bus station you need a cab from the airport but.....if you are simply trying to get from Toluca to PV as quickly as possible Interjet has June flights one-way from as little as 68 USD

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Mexico City!

SteveMax, I just was able to navigate Interjet's website and I saw that. I want to book right away. maybe you can help. I land in Toluca at 1:22 and the flight is 2:55 do you think I can make it? If so I will book right away. It would help so much b/c the bus idea was getting to be too much b/c of times. Thank you!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from Mexico City!

I don't think you have enough time if you will be traveling on two separate tickets. (If both legs were Interjet then it would be a connecting flight and you could make it.) On two tickets you will have to clear immigration, pick up bags, clear customs and then stand in line to re-check at Interjet. You could call Interjet and tell them what you are planning and maybe they will say it's OK and make a note that you will check-in late but.....personally I would find it too stressful!