We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Music, entertainment in Old Town

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,652 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Music, entertainment in Old Town

lopo's piano bar question was helpful, we're looking forward to Garbo's next week. Can anyone recommend any other places to enjoy any type of music including mariachis? I've seen a few recommendations while perusing older posts but didn't take notes and also don't know if they're current. And many were for Friday dinners at Hacienda San Angel.

I'm also not finding a web site listing this information, is there one to reference? I know schedules can and do change but it would be great to have a reference guide.

Thanks!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Music, entertainment in Old Town

Langostino's and Cuates y Cuetes take turns having live music in the evening, and they start at Happy Hour. They are next to each other on the north side of the pier. These are my favorite happy hour places....especially Langostino's.

Nacho Daddy's has a variety of live music every night. They were having a little problem with a hotel complaining so it could be a little quiet there....just depends on if they have gotten it straightened out. It's on Basilio Badillo not far from Olas Atlas.

Andales....not live music....but reel to reel and very very lively usually. Lots of non-stop dancing. This is the place people vary widely on whether they like it. It can be a lot of fun, you have to be in the right mood....nice to go with other people, our first time was with people we had met on resort. On Olas Atlas across from Playa Los Arcos Hotel.

Blue Shrimp, Coco Tropical, Playa Los Arcos Hotel on Los Muertos beach all have music too. La Palapa as well, the most laid back....harp, jazz etc.

Que Pasa on Aquiles Serdan...not the one on Olas Atlas. Also JR's hangout. He said Chris Kenny is playing there lately....one of our favorites. Like Nacho Daddy's they have a variety. You also might catch Chris Kenny anywhere in the Olas Atlas- Basilio Badillo area.

All listed except for LaPalapa are R & R 50's - 90's .

I don't know if they're around in the summer, but Los Bambino's are popular in PV....they are PV's darlings.....4 young men all brother's, and if you're lucky they will show up at your table anywhere on Olas Atlas and sing for you. They good hard working guys. They play shows too but they just had a run at Roxy's so might not be playing there again.

Mariachi's roam around all over PV in the evening....so you never know when you'll run into them. Some are big groups and some small.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,400 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Music, entertainment in Old Town

Been going for years Kansas gave GREAT advice!!!!!!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,652 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Music, entertainment in Old Town

Yes thanks for all of that info! I meant to ask if there are any favorite musicians we need to keep an eye out for and you answered that. I don't suppose you go by a website or daily paper to see who is where and when?

Thanks!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Music, entertainment in Old Town

and Friday afternoon at El Rio BBQ, Bobby & Gilberto 4pm

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,939 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Music, entertainment in Old Town

Some of the best music in PV comes from the strolling musicians on the south side. Kansas already made the recommendation of Los Bambinos, and they are fantastic. Another not-miss performer is Jorge Acosta. He sometimes has some set gigs at Daiquiri Dick's during the weekend brunches, but he is also a regular around the south side.

Here is a short article of a show he did at DD's last fall (I was at this one), so you know what he looks like.

banderasnews.com/1210/rr-daiquiri-dicks-acos…

BTW - for strolling musicians, the entertainment is generally pay-per-song. Most of the musicians on the south side it's about 50 pesos per song (and some will throw in a freebie if you purchase more than one). Los Bambinos it's 75 pesos a song, I think because they're a large group and they have such a huge repetoire of music...they'll actually play almost the entire Beatles catalogue for you with a latin rhythm. (-;

Go to the Que? Pasa website or Facebook page for their entertainment listings. They have different groups playing on different days, and tons of food/drink specials to go with it.

La Palapa, Cuates y Cuetes, Langostinos will all usually have some kind of live latin jazz or smooth music.

In addition to Hacienda San Angel, for really good mariachi head up to the Malecon to La Chata. Good drinks and food but not as expensive as HSA. They have a full mariachi group that plays in-house and they take requests (there is a tip jar up front).

Now, fair warning...in terms of the strolling musicians, there are good ones and not so good ones. I strongly recommend just sitting back for a day or two for some of them and get a feel for how they play before diving in to pay for a song. I'd hate to send someone to PV to enjoy this tableside treat only to have them wind up booking Mexican Elvis (you'll hear about him...). LOL

The only codicil to that tip is if you see Jorge or Los Bambinos. With them you know it's a quality product every single time. Have Jorge sing you some Luis Miguel...your wife will thank you, I promise!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Music, entertainment in Old Town

You'll know Los Bambino's when you see them......they usually all wear matching Polo's, different color every night but they always match. Sometimes it is only 3 of them though.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Music, entertainment in Old Town

Back in February, I made reservations at Daquiri's for a friend's birthday, and told the restaurant what was up. The 3 of us had dinner, the restaurant brought out a birthday cake, followed by Los Bambinos who sang a Mexican song and then Happy birthday, half in Spanish and half in English. We bought some CD's to compensate them. To say by pal's wife was thrilled does not describe it.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Music, entertainment in Old Town

<"To say by pal's wife was thrilled does not describe it.">

Yes there is definitely something about them.....you just get the feeling they have kind hearts....and a good attitude shines on their faces. If somebody knows different.....I DON"T WANNA HEAR IT LOL.

Well, shoot by March Los Bambino's were all sold out of CD's! If anybody goes and they have CD'S available again...I will send you the money for all of them.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,939 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Music, entertainment in Old Town

Kansas - they usually have a full stock in the fall when all of us crazies go. Just let us know how many you want.

(-:

Usually Jorge has his stock up by then too, he just came out with a new one last last year...I got the first one as I was leaving the next day. It's amazing. That's the other nice thing about shoulder season - you can usually get first dibs on all the new strolling musician CD's.

Re: Los Bambinos...they are nice kids. They live (lived?) next door to someone I know who told me they would practice their harmonies constantly until they nailed it. Practice makes perfect.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Music, entertainment in Old Town

Sorry to say that the Friday afternoon at El Rio BBQ, with Bobby & Gilberto today, is the last one this year till after the rainy season.