We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuevo Vallarta or Downtown

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Nuevo Vallarta or Downtown

I'm coming on Saturday (like tomorrow) and haven't made reservations yet for Sat and Sun nights. I've reservations at the Marival Residences from Mon - Sun but debating on where to stay for the first two nights. I'll be solo for those two nights and then meeting my friend on Monday. I'm 38 and single. Where should I stay? Would it be more fun to stay in PVR as opposed to Nuevo?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
607 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Downtown

IMO, much more fun to stay in town than Nuevo. Marival is in Nuevo, correct? Why not switch it up for a few days and get a taste of what the city is like. Budget?

AR
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Downtown

Definitely stay in PV for the two days. Much more to see and do.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,361 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Downtown

Stay in PV near or on the south side (aka romantic zone, old town,) and spend those days walking around.

It's good you have those two days as PV is the best walking town ever and it would be a shame to miss all it has to offer. There are several women on the forum that travel solo and feel comfortable walking around on their own. I travel with my husband but I'm also always walking around on my own too.

Here's a map of the south side. These maps are all connected north to south and you can use the "move up" and "move down" prompt at top and bottom to get from map to map.

vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

As far as where to stay....depends on what type of accommodations you're comfortable with, the south side is full of simple clean places to stay for a couple nights, but not the more typical "resort" type places. But there are those too, close to the downtown area which means all of town is accessible to you.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 15:45
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Downtown

Thanks! That's what I was thinking. I want to stay somewhere nice. I don't even care if it's all-inclusive because I'd like to get some authentic food and be out and explore.

There's a great deal at the Marriott - is that near the area you guys are talking about?

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Downtown

Budget is under $150/nt. From what I've seen, I don't think that will be a problem - I just want a nice hotel in a good location.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 16:12
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,361 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Downtown

Take a look at the maps I gave you. You'll find the Marriot on the Marina map. I wouldn't call it especially close to town, but plenty of people stay there and go to town. I stay in town so can't give you good information on how long it will take by cab to downtown....but maybe 15 minutes as a guess. Marriot is well loved though and not a thing wrong with it as a place to stay.

A nice place very close to town is Villa Premiere and it's sister resort Buenaventura on the north downtown map. AI optional and you can walk to the south side and around downtown from there. Mind you it's a good walk to the south side in the heat.

Also take a look at Playa Los Arcos hotel AI optional on the south side. It's simple yes, but there are certain ways to get a good room which other's will be able to help on that subject. Playa Los Arcos is in the heart of the south side and it's easy to walk out your door and eat immediately, other than in their restaurant. Sidewalk places to eat....run the gamut and it's the best spot imo for dining around in such a short time period.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 16:18
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,361 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Downtown

Definitely take a look at Casa Isabel which is on the south side. It's very nice, I bet you would love it, and you'll have a fabulous view of town, and it's no more than a 5 minute cab ride down the hill when you don't want to walk.

http://www.casaisabelpv.com/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150793-d482778…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,680 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Downtown

Because you're talking about only two nights, I would call Casa Isabel first to find out if that's possible. They will usually make exceptions to their minimum nights requirements but only if they have availability.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,197 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Downtown

The Casa Magna Marriott is in The Marina (so about 15 mins. from town) but is VERY nice. If you can get a room there for under $150 I'm sure you'd be happy with it.

Or you could stay at The Tropicana or Playa Los Arcos which are two hotels right on the beach on the south-side ("zona romantic"). That's a great location. Read the reviews to see if they are nice enough for what you want though.

Villa Premiere/Buenaventure is another place you can look at. That's in the downtown area, south part of Hotel Zone and are a bit more upscale than what's on the beach south-side.

suze

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
607 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Downtown

I'm sure the Marriot is nice, but like Kansas said, it isn't exactly close to town. It isn't in the area that she posted a map of -- the southside. Casa Isabel is an excellent recommendation and fits in your budget. It is affordable luxury. It isn't on the beach but the beach is only a short walk away. The view is to die for and the staff is very accommodating. It is a smaller hotel with hotel 14 rooms, so if you want something that might be a little more lively then I can also second Kansas' recommendation for Playa Los Arcos.