We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for Knock-offs in PV

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping for Knock-offs in PV

Are there any stores/markets in PV that have brand-name knock-offs like you'd find in Nassau or Canal Street?

Okanagan, BC
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping for Knock-offs in PV

Yes, head for the flea market downtown.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping for Knock-offs in PV

are knock off rejected clothing not suitable for retail

at those tianguis they have big huge bags of clothing thrown onto tables for browsing

at very low prices many are brand new with name tags

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,383 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping for Knock-offs in PV

No chico - by knockoffs she means counterfeits of brand names, usually designers. Like the Louis Vuitton bags you usually see hanging in the doorways of the huarache shops or leather shops...those aren't real. That's what she's talking about.

cosmogirl - many of the knockoffs in PV aren't of the quality you find in the US or Canada. Hunt and you may find some good ones. I saw decent LV backpack style bags upstairs in the discount section at Rolling Stones Leather on the Malecon that were better than the ones in the flea market.

But chico is correct, you may actually do better at the tianguis - it's like a big swap meet/flea market/consignment market all in one. You're more likely to find the real thing there, and pay a lot less for it. Local DE on this forum bzy1 is a seasoned tianguis shopper, you wouldn't believe some of the things she finds.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping for Knock-offs in PV

maria has found may fantastic deals on clothing that she tells me that costs like 500 pesos in stores where she may have paid 20 40 50 pesos for the same

i take her to those tianguis on

friday infonovit inland from sams

monday la auara near imss

thursday lopez monteo near cruz roja

saturday old hospital regional DIF

have gone to las mojaneras lots of walking and no shade the sun is too strong

thanks for knock off are copycats

Edited: 10 May 2013, 18:50
North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping for Knock-offs in PV

The flea market adjacent to the cruise ship terminal has a couple of shops that have very good "knock offs" of watches such as Tag Heuer,Breitling,Movado and such.

These are very good replicas and not the street junk to be found on a Manhattan street corner. I've had mine a few years now and they still work fine. I know, I know they are still fakes but very well done .

Take a look,

Michael

Edited: 10 May 2013, 19:03
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping for Knock-offs in PV

Great! Thanks. Any places with purses?

Calgary
Level Contributor
378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping for Knock-offs in PV

Instead of Knock-offs, why don't you shop for originals if you want purses. PV has some very nice originals that no one else in your area will have. You will be the leader of the pack. My wife has a cow-hide purse that I haven't seen any other lady in Calgary even come close to. Bought in PV. There are a couple of good leather shops in PV that the regulars can tell you about including Rolling Stone that PV Jennybean mentioned. Be an original; don't follow the crowd.

P.S. Mexico is known for its leather items including purses.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,383 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping for Knock-offs in PV

I tend to agree...if you want knockoff purses, you're better to go to Italy or to Hong Kong, where the quality is better for that. Or hit the outlet malls in Las Vegas or Palm Springs for the real thing. (-;

Other than the LV knockoffs I saw at Rolling Stones, the rest were meh. Nothing I'd be jumping up and down to invest in. Now the original handmade leather purses in PV, that's a different story. Same with the jewelry.

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,202 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping for Knock-offs in PV

Canal street has better knock offs in relation to purses. I had the same idea when I first went to PV and found they were cheaper, more plentiful and better made in New York. I was surprised to find what I saw in PV, and said to myself..... "I'll wait until my next New York trip."

Edited: 11 May 2013, 04:22
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping for Knock-offs in PV

Thanks!