We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton or Sunset Beach???

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
manitoba
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton or Sunset Beach???

We have stayed at the Sheraton for the past few years but have been considering the Sunset Plaza for this Feb. . Looking for some insight to help us make our final choice! The price difference is only a couple of hundred dollars each for a two week vacation? Thanks !

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton or Sunset Beach???

We haven't stayed at either but have walked through both a few times over the years

It wouldn't even be a close call for us. Sunset Plaza for sure.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
391 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton or Sunset Beach???

We always booked at the Sheraton in the time share bldgs but the last few times we changed b/c we did not like the food there also the service we have been staying at the Marriott which is a beautiful place and within walking distance to the Marina We have looked at Sunset Beach on line and it looks beautiful are you renting a time share??? the only thing I was concerned about was food I do not cook on vacation and wasn't sure if they had a restaurant there but to answer your question I would try ti. I am missing the Sheraton and how it used to be waiting for some changes and will go back if they are made. Hope this helped a little.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,129 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton or Sunset Beach???

Having stayed at both, DO give Sunset Plaza Beach Resort a try, if only for the beautiful space. The rooms are large and stunning and all have large terraces with full ocean views. Our room (a 2-bedroom) had two big terraces and was so large, we had to close off a good part of it.

I can't comment on the AI plan. We did eat there a couple of times but not on AI. Food was fine but expensive for non-AI. If you're used to the Sheraton, you know the area (Sunset Plaza being north of Sheraton but within walking distance) so it's time to try Sunset Plaza.

Enjoy!

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,066 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton or Sunset Beach???

We've stayed at both (check out my reviews) and prefer Sunset Plaza hands down... newer, smaller, much nicer accommodations, better service, smaller but swimable beach, an adults only pool as well as a main pool w/swimup bar and upper level jacuzzi pools; we took advantage of the AI pan at both, the food was also better at Sunset Plaza with 2 ala carte restaurants and a deli (no buffet), the Sheraton offering more dining options, plus buffet as well as their Sunday brunch and Mexican Fiesta night. We found both hotels to be quiet at night with not much for entertainment except for a few nights in the lobby bars. If the difference in price is minimal Id stay at SPB, the alo offer an inexpensive upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite! When we stayed at the Sheraton we couldn't beat it for the price we paid. Food and drinks at both hotels are expensive, we found we got more than our money's worth with the AI plan at both, even with some of meals in town.

San Rafael...
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton or Sunset Beach???

I am considering the Sunset too. Is it child friendly? Appears so from website. My friend however recommended the Sheraton, which she thought was fabulous, but we like a smaller place. Is it worth doing the AI and just skipping a meal or two to eat out? I know I will eat breakfast at the hotel everyday and some lunches at the pool. But DH is all excited about taco stands. Sorry to hijack your post Pvis4me!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,864 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton or Sunset Beach???

JNSgraphic....

How far is the Sheraton into PV downtown?..... For instance... How far (do we bus, taxi, or can we walk???) to the romantic zone? I know where Hotel Rosita is... I know how the walking is from the romantic zone to Hotel Rosita....... Just wondering how much further to get to the Sheraton?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,864 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton or Sunset Beach???

I guess what Im also wanting to know is.... I've never done AI. I don't prefer AI at all and really don't want it because of all the great restaurants there are in PV. We are coming down to a wedding in April and I think the bride is going to pick the Sheraton. Can we stay there NON AI because we'd like to go into town for all our meals. So, if we choose to do Non AI, we can do everything at the hotel, but not eat there? (Well, we could eat there but it would be an additional cost) Is that correct?

And, are non AI people put alongside others (for rooms) that are going with AI? We wouldn't want to be singled out and put far away from the other wedding guests if they have a certain section for non AI only.

Thank you.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,066 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton or Sunset Beach???

Job816: it depends upon the ages of the kids, the kids clubs at both are geared more for younger kids under 7 or 8, the kids club at the Sheraton is mostly inside in the back of the property, the kids club at Sunset Plaza is more open, partially outdoors, between the main pool and restaurant; both hotels have good sized kids pool area that are not deep, SPB also has a small pool for instants/toddlers outside the kids club. Food and drinks at the hotel are expensive, even with breakfast, lunch and a few drinks you'll get your money's worth with allinclusive; unless you are getting a 1 bedroom suite with kitchen and you don't mind preparing a few of the meals in your room, there are 2 supermarkets within walking distance of the hotel.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,066 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton or Sunset Beach???

Deana : the Sheraton is about 15 mins further of a walk from the Rosita, Sunset Plaza add 5-10 mins more. Both hotels offer AI and non, no difference in rooms/service at Sunset Plaza and the only difference at the Sheraton would be the time share building or hotel side if the property, from my experience the rooms on the hotel side of the property were nicer but basically standard rooms.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,864 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton or Sunset Beach???

JNSgraphic

That is exactly what I wanted to know. Will help me so much in making reservations for our April date. Thank you.