We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago airfare

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago airfare

Hello, anyone have an idea if airfares from Chicago are going to improve? The last 3 years we have found direct flight out of Chicago to Puerto Vallarta or 1 connection with a reasonable layover from $400-$500 per person. Now the directs are almost $800 and the $500+ connections have extreme layovers.

Should we take ourlumps and book now or is there reason to hope things will improve. We will be back on Puerto Vallarta in April of 2014. Thanks

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago airfare

I would wait. Chicago is a major hub and good prices show up there every few months. You are not traveling for almost a year, so what is the hurry. You might even find a special in the next 6 months that will save you hundreds. But I dought that you will see them go over the $800 you are seeing now.

"Funman"

Edited: 17 May 2013, 16:37
|Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
823 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago airfare

We are in the same position watching prices. I see that American Airlines doesn't even list any flights to PV yet. Tried a search this morning. Don't know if it is a computer glitch or has to do with their merger. We have the advantage of either flying out of ORD or MSP. They are about the same distance from home. Been watching both. Sun Country announced their flights out of MSP. At $1300 for two of us I think that is still a little high. We are waiting to see if they come down. Anyone have any heads up on good deals right now? Forgot to mention, we are traveling in Jan/ Feb.

So my opinion would be to wait, because in years past AA has come out with non-stop flights at a later date. I'm sure some other posters will chime in also.

Happy Travels

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago airfare

Lefthanded,,I just did a check for April of next year. Kayak has flights at $465 RT. One stop. Lots of differant dates.

"Funman"

Lake Mills...
Level Contributor
917 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago airfare

We normally leave from ORD mid-January, non-stop on American. The non-stop prices for winter travel to PV haven't been released the last few years until late June. I've also seen their offerings thru DFW next winter with horrendous, overnight layovers for scary high fares, like the $800 or so mentioned above (business class on some of these flights is only another $100 or so round trip -- 3 bags free, nice seats, free drinks and a meal). United is showing non-stops for our time period already, can't remember how much, but thinking maybe $650-ish? Thirty percent or so higher than what we've been paying in recent years.

Edited: 17 May 2013, 17:04
Lake Mills...
Level Contributor
917 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago airfare

Ouch. That United fare for our dates, 1/11 -- 3/8, is now $720.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago airfare

I also think you should wait for a while; a lot could happen between now and next April. Quite a bit will depend upon how flexible you can be with your dates since mid-week fares are usually lower than weekend fares. When in April will you be going? Easter falls on April 20th next year, so that will be a factor. The week before and the week after the 20th could have higher fares.

I travel regularly from O'Hare to PV and I never make plane reservations more than 6 or 7 weeks in advance. I almost always take non-stops and lately, I've been taking Frontier to and from PV. Even though they don't usually fly out of ORD, Apple Vacations sometimes leases Frontier's planes for their charters. I found this out on the www.matrix.itasoftware.com website. Now, I always use Matrix to search for low airfares.

Lefthanded, you are in Milwaukee. Are fares from that city out of the question?

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago airfare

My wife just found a return on Air Canada from Toronto. Non stop only $1,800, 1person. Xmas period Think she should wait? Anyone know of a good site for flying from Toronto or Buffalo (NY)? Sorry to hijack the thread but what the heck.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago airfare

Jmg, I think you'd get more responses about fares from Toronto if you started a new thread.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago airfare

Good point Elena. Gracias.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicago airfare

We like to save money as much as the next guy, but....of late we rent condos. To get the time you want in a particular unit, it's necessary to book out farther than if you were staying in hotel. That does limit flexibility in choosing flight.