We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kindle

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Kindle

Can you download books on any Kindle in PV?

Keswick, Canada
Level Contributor
839 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kindle

I had no problem downloading books! I downloaded 4 and then 3 more which I had pre-ordered!

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kindle

Which kindle do you have? I am going to buy one as soon as I know which one will work in Mexico or will they all?

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kindle

I have the Kindle with 3G and downloaded books right on the beach. :-)

If you have a wifi only Kindle you will need to be able to connect to wifi, obviously.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kindle

Do it all the time with WiFi

groover beach cali
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kindle

This might veer off topic but was gifted a basic Kobo e-reader just before our last trip to Dreams and took it along. Worked very well; very easy to read outside in full daylight. Didn't d/l anything as I'd just crammed it full of the latest NYT bestseller list--too much to read in a month much less a week.

My wife is planning on bringing here 1st gen Kindle Fire, we'll see how that compares. Myself, I'm not a fan of reading on a radiant screen outdoors, others obviously see things differently.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kindle

Kindle fire is like a tablet and hard to see in the sunshine, the Regular kindle is like the kobo...can see perfectly in the sun.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kindle

Thank you all for the information. I don't know about the kobo but will goggle it.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,871 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kindle

If you're buying a kindle I suggest not going any lower than a Paperwhite, I have one and I love the white screen vs. a grey screen. You can also change the brightness of the screen by huge amounts, you can read in bed without additional light, or read in super bright light. I had never had an e-reader until my trip in March and it was so great to load all my Spanish books too....like the "501 Spanish Verbs" book, which is thick and way to heavy to take in luggage.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 16:56
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kindle

Love my ChromeBook which along with lots else includes a Kindle app. With a 11 plus inch screen makes a easier read. Only $249 at Best Buy or online. Now also has Netflix, Google chat & hundred of other apps. Fast & efficient the best computer I have ever owned for any amount. At just over 2 #s it's an easy carry.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kindle

I have a Kindle 3G with keyboard, love it. Have taken it on 3 trips now and will take it to PV on the next one. I D/L books while in the US from WiFi, and since I have the same model as JR's I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do it in PV too if he says he's done it.

I actually prefer the grey screen to the paperwhite, which I found harsh on my eyes (reminded me too much of my computer monitor at home), but everyone has their preference.

Took me a while to get used to one tablet style reader vs holding paper copy books, but boy it's fantastic for traveling.